Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Takeaways from Week 2 of Vikings OTAs
Barr returns

After missing the first week of OTAs, Anthony Barr was back on the field – with an insurance policy. Barr said he skipped last week because he was waiting for paperwork to be finalized on a policy that would protect him in case of injury during offseason workouts. He is a free agent after this season and said he had hoped to get a contract done before OTAs.
Cousins getting comfortable 
Kirk Cousins has the difficult task of assimilating himself into the Vikings’ organization while taking a leadership role, learning John DeFilippo’s offense and getting comfortable with his head coach. Zimmer talked about wanting to find ways to get to know his franchise QB.
“I have to develop a relationship with him,” Zimmer said. “I have to be able to sit down and talk to him about things that I think, things about the team. I’ve had some good conversations with him. It’s just getting comfortable around everything. When you go to a new place and all the players are new, all the coaches are new, the install is new, the snap count is new, everything is different, it just takes some time.”
Treadwell with the first team 

Laquon Treadwell held down a regular role for most of 2017 but saw his playing time slip down the stretch and in the playoffs. At the NFL Combine, Zimmer had some blunt comments for the team’s former first-round pick. On Wednesday, after Treadwell received first-team reps throughout the practice, Zimmer said he feels Treadwell is taking a different mental approach.
“Today he had two really nice catches in the red zone,” Zimmer said. “He’s continually getting better. I think he’s stopped being so hard on himself and he’s just letting it flow now.”
More here
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ings-otas/

Interesting comments on Treadwell...  it sure would be nice if he could break out in his 3rd year.  Cousins is the type of distributor that will get all his WRs involved in the passing game.  Maybe this will be the season he starts to live up to his first round draft status...

I'll have to see it to believe it in September with Treadwell. Its OTAs, they mean next to nothing. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'll have to see it to believe it in September with Treadwell. Its OTAs, they mean next to nothing. 
True, it is just OTAs, but Zimmer knows that, too.  He could have said that Treadwell looks good, just like he did at last year’s OTAs. Instead, he seems to read something into the notion that he is looking good now. Hey, it’s Treadwell. We’ll take any positive news we can get.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Interesting comments on Treadwell...  it sure would be nice if he could break out in his 3rd year.  Cousins is the type of distributor that will get all his WRs involved in the passing game.  Maybe this will be the season he starts to live up to his first round draft status...
Great, just what we need...Another good player to have to sign to big $$$

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:

Spielman should use this logic when a draft pick just sucks: we intentionally drafted this guy knowing he was going to suck because, with our cap situation, we really could not afford to have to sign another good player to a big contract. Drafting some shitty players will be key to our success and helps keep us under the cap.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:

Spielman should use this logic when a draft pick just sucks: we intentionally drafted this guy knowing he was going to suck because, with our cap situation, we really could not afford to have to sign another good player to a big contract. Drafting some shitty players will be key to our success and helps keep us under the cap.
Sounds about right----Spielman  watching tred slow dance down the field " look at this bloody mannequin,  now there's cap management101".