Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings’ defense using NFC title game collapse as ‘fuel’
The NFL’s top-ranked defense was a no-show the last time the Vikings played.
In the NFC Championship Game in January, the Vikings fell apart, losing 38-7 at Philadelphia. They allowed a season-most point total and a season-high 456 total yards.
Since then, the Vikings have been busy continuing to beef up the defense. In March, they signed highly regarded defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson to a one-year, $8 million deal. And in last week’s draft, they actually selected more defensive players (four) than offensive players (three).
“We’ve got to get back to square one,’’ said safety Harrison Smith. “We’re not ranked anything right now.’’
https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/02/vi...itle-game/

“We didn’t deliver, so that’s something we can learn from this offseason, and hopefully we will use it in the future,’’ Smith said. “If we just throw the film away, that’s doing yourself a disservice. We want to learn from the good and from the bad, and use it all to get better for the season.’’
Smith didn’t want to elaborate on why the Vikings collapsed against the Eagles. Defensive end Everson Griffen last week said factors included “attitude, fatigue” and having “never been there before (in the NFC Championship Game) and knowing how to handle it.’’
https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/02/vi...itle-game/

Yes & this didn’t help the cause any either...

“ After smoothly navigating 75 yards for a touchdown, Minnesota's next five possessions of the first half netted 110 yards on 29 plays and ended with interception, punt, punt, fumble and punt, respectively. “

They should use it as fertilizer...

Quote: @"Maple Surple" said:
Yes & this didn’t help the cause any either...

“ After smoothly navigating 75 yards for a touchdown, Minnesota's next five possessions of the first half netted 110 yards on 29 plays and ended with interception, punt, punt, fumble and punt, respectively. “
True dat...

IT's the ultimate team game and this game probably cost Keenum the opportunity to stay. Re-shuffling of OL didn't help the cause at all.

That said, the defense was putrid, exposed and embarrassed. The #1 defense.  That Eagles QB went on a hell of a run all the way to the Lombardi too. 

Yah, I'm still bitter. 5 or 6 CG losses in a row over 42 years will do that to a fan. 

The Defense sucked in the second half of the divisional round game against the Saints as well. They went empty backfield for over 40 plays in a row and the Vikings had no answers on how to stop Brees. We had a non-existent pass rush after Griffin was hurt in the Cleveland game. Hunter was ineffective and Joseph, Johnson, and the rest of the rotational line players looked old and tired. Hopefully Zimmer's comments about implementing a better line rotation this year becomes a reality. He has a lazy habit of relying too much on trusted veterans to do all of the heavy lifting which meant they had nothing left at the end of the season when it mattered. Having DeFillipo on the staff should also bring in a fresh set of eyes to help them self scout with an outside perspective on their weaknesses. 

We know  know  Griff  was  hurting bad  and  it was obvious  Rhoads and  sender  wore not anywhere close to being  100 percent  below 50 percent was  my  guess I think it's possible bare and   smith weremail also very limited  but it's good they r not  just using the injury  excuse  but I could be wrong on my injury theory  playing a part

Quote: @"TBro" said:
The Defense sucked in the second half of the divisional round game against the Saints as well. They went empty backfield for over 40 plays in a row and the Vikings had no answers on how to stop Brees. We had a non-existent pass rush after Griffin was hurt in the Cleveland game. Hunter was ineffective and Joseph, Johnson, and the rest of the rotational line players looked old and tired. Hopefully Zimmer's comments about implementing a better line rotation this year becomes a reality. He has a lazy habit of relying too much on trusted veterans to do all of the heavy lifting which meant they had nothing left at the end of the season when it mattered. Having DeFillipo on the staff should also bring in a fresh set of eyes to help them self scout with an outside perspective on their weaknesses. 
I think this is the best post regarding what happened. But it sure seems like they figured out what went wrong and have made the right moves to correct matters. The only worry I have involves the offensive line. Brett Favre helped what had been a woeful offensive line in 2009. And though Cousins isn't Favre, I'm hopeful he can also help. Keenum was a magician moving around to avoid sacks. I think Cousins will be quicker at making decisions. For the record, Keenum reminded me of Joe Kapp. I wish him well and am grateful for what he did for us.