Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Dunkirk, The Movie
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Jor-El said:
@Clanzomaelan said:
Going to see this tonight with my blushing bride.

For those that know... Wasn't the German attack effectively the first time we saw "shock & awe" in modern combat? The French preparing for an old style of war (trench warfare; a buddy tells me that French arrogance is at the heart of this entire story...), while the Germans used Panzers to punch through the French defenses, and pin the English to the beach... Meanwhile, the Germans had a halt order, because they outran their supply lines?

I'm a huge WWII movie fan, and an even bigger Christopher Nolan fan. To say I'm excited is an understatement!
I'm eager to hear how you liked the movie. I hope to see it in the next week. The story of common fishermen and boat owners crossing the channel at the call of the British government should be wonderful. One of the rescuers was the former 2nd Officer of the Titanic, Charles Lightoller, who sailed his yacht across and back to rescue soldiers.

The French had built a series of stationary forts called the Maginot Line on their border, really marvelous - except that they could not move and their guns could not be pointed backwards (towards France), so they were useless when the Germans simply drove around them through Holland!

Question of curiosity: Any WWII vets on the board? Wonder how many of us are 1 or 2 generations removed, as so many are now gone. My Dad and a friend hitchhiked to Thunder Bay and joined the Canadian Army before Pearl Harbor - but my grandmother tracked him down and told the Canucks that he was only 15 (true) and got him discharged. His buddy remained, my father joined the USN a year later at age 16 (with Grandma's permission).
Yah, the hero generation is really old now. My FIL just passed away @ 89. He was a (very young at the time) veteran of the Pacific Theatre. Drove the amphibious ships that dropped the soldiers off on the beach. Never could get him to talk about it - and just stopped trying out of respect. 

My dad was in WWII in the Pacific theater of operations. He didn't really ever talk much about it until his brother who was fighting over in Europe had passed. It wasn't pretty. War never is. Talked about being in a foxhole and you're buddy who you've gotten to know though boot camp catches one and is gone right there in front of you. But you can't stop because the action is still ongoing. 
My dad was in a nursing home the day 9-11 happened and I was with him by chance with my brother. He couldn't speak (because of a bad stroke) but he understood what was happening and it physically bothered him. He passed away less than a month later. I believe he did because of what he witnessed and his thoughts of the future of this country he fought for.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
As a history teacher I've been waiting for this one....called the "miracle of Dunkirk"
330,000 men trapped between the advancing German army and the English Channel.

looking forward to seeing it

Major blunder by Dolf as he could have wiped out the BEF and opened up the way for Operation Sea Lion and blitzed the British into submission.

Thoughts on the movie. Spoilerish review...

Still reading? Spoiler warning 2...

In a word, nailbiting. 

Not only is this different than other Nolan movies, but this is as close to indie/ art as a war movie can be.  The dialogue is minimal, with the exposition only coming in the form of Kenneth Branagh's character, who only speaks as a form of exposition to give you insight as to why they're in the office they're in. The rest of the dialogue is nothing more than you as a witness to events.

This may be a bit spoilerish, but I'm not sure I ever saw a German soldier. You their planes, and the devastating results of their machinery, but never a human. This served the purpose of feeling like they're always around a corner, and contributes to the intensity. 

Not that many will care but Hans Zimmer's score adds to the intensity as it seems to be a constant crescendo serving to underscore the anxiety. BTW... The ticking clock in the background is a stroke of genius. It's there, but almost subliminal.  You get a feeling of anxiety, then realize you have a ticking clock going off in the background.

Great flick. Nolan doing what Nolan does best.

Shame on the Allies for letting Hitler break major provisions of the Versailles treaty. Shame, Shame, Shame on Chamberlain in particular.

Shame on the Allies for inflicting that kind of burden on the German nation after winning WW1. 

Those Versailles provisions + The Great Depression + Isolationism + Neville Chamberlain = Ripe for WW2

UGH...

Thanks for the review Clanzo too. 

I went to Dunkirk today.  I've always enjoyed WW2 flicks as my Dad served in the USAAF from 43 to 45.  IMO, best parts/lines were in the trailers.  I would only give it a 2 out of 5 and I really wanted to like it...

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
I went to Dunkirk today.  I've always enjoyed WW2 flicks as my Dad served in the USAAF from 43 to 45.  IMO, best parts/lines were in the trailers.  I would only give it a 2 out of 5 and I really wanted to like it...
Interesting. If I were sitting it, is give it a 4.5/5. 

If you want, PM me what didn't hit home with you (to avoid spoilers for the group). I have a feeling that some may not like the unconventional structure, and narrative. So I'm curious to hear what you didn't like! 

...and there you have it... Two opposing scores...

Quote: @dukes said:
Major blunder by Dolf as he could have wiped out the BEF and opened up the way for Operation Sea Lion and blitzed the British into submission.
People  still debate why Schnicklgruber (Hitler) did that, some think he intentionally let the British evacuate troops to make them less hostile and open to surrender. Personally I believe that Goering convinced Hitler to give the Luftwaffe the "glory" of the final kills. Probably his first huge blunder of arrogance.