Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some draft buzz
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018...utton-news

3. The top guards could fall because of depth at position
My top prospect in the class is Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson, who has had the best film of any prospect I’ve seen in years. If Nelson falls to 8, it would be not only a perfect scheme and need fit but also a reunion with his Fighting Irish OL coach Harry Hiestand. Zierlein went on to point out that Nelson could indeed fall to anywhere between 8-11.
That leaves Georgia’s Isaiah Wynn, UTEP’s Will Hernandez, and Nevada’s Austin Corbett as the next in line to be drafted. Corbett’s hype train is picking up steam according to Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst.
Quote:“The biggest riser on the interior? Austin Corbett of Nevada. Multiple sources believe Corbett will be off the board during the first dozen picks of the second round.” - Tony Pauline
This echoes statements previously made by NDT Scouting’s Jon Ledyard, who pegged Hernandez for a fall and Corbett for a climb based on rumblings he heard at the NFL Combine.
Beyond the players noted, Auburn’s Braden Smith is the only other guard with a Day 2 grade on my board, so “depth” may be referring to top end talent and not talent throughout the entire class. That said, if you take into account some teams wanting to move Texas’ Connor Williamsand Humbolt State’s Alex Cappa inside, it definitely becomes a deeper position.
4. McGlinchey and Kolton will go higher than you think due to poor depth at OT
This is interesting because it omits the aforementioned Connor Williams as a tackle. Searching for further context, I found another tweet from Zierlein that mentioned most teams seeing Williams as a guard, likely due to his baseline physical profile for the position. Rumor has it that Williams could fall to the second round, so you wonder how the Eagles see his best use if he were to be there at the 32nd overall pick.
All indications are that Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey and UCLA’s Kolton Miller will indeed go higher than anticipated. I’m not going to pretend to be a big source guy, but I have a dependable resource in the scouting world that has linked the Baltimore Raven’s to McGlinchey since the beginning of the season.
Quote:“There is really only one offensive tackle teams unanimously grade as a first-round pick, and that’s Mike McGlinchey of Notre Dame. But even he is all over boards, as some people believe he’s worthy of a top-12 selection while others feel he’s a late first-rounder.
Most teams don’t have a first-round grade on Kolton Miller but expect the UCLA junior to land in the top 32 due to position priority and the lack of depth at the tackle spot.” - Tony Pauline
With another week and a half remaining in the draft process, more rumors are sure to fly, but there are some solid takeaways to take from reading the tea leaves. The overall feeling is that Courtland Sutton, Mike McGlinchey and Kolton Miller will not be on the board when the Eagles pick at the bottom of the first round, but that Derrius Guice, Connor Williams, and perhaps even Will Hernandez very well may be available.

If Connor Williams is there at #30 then I hope the Vikings make the selection.

He would be worth the chance.

I do not buy into the guard chatter although it is a good sign that teams believe he has the ability to play guard.

Most of the guard talk is because of his arm length which is 33".

Joe Thomas only has 32" arms.

Now Williams is not the same as Thomas coming out of college but he did make All American in 2016.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018...utton-news

3. The top guards could fall because of depth at position
My top prospect in the class is Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson, who has had the best film of any prospect I’ve seen in years. If Nelson falls to 8, it would be not only a perfect scheme and need fit but also a reunion with his Fighting Irish OL coach Harry Hiestand. Zierlein went on to point out that Nelson could indeed fall to anywhere between 8-11.
That leaves Georgia’s Isaiah Wynn, UTEP’s Will Hernandez, and Nevada’s Austin Corbett as the next in line to be drafted. Corbett’s hype train is picking up steam according to Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst.
“The biggest riser on the interior? Austin Corbett of Nevada. Multiple sources believe Corbett will be off the board during the first dozen picks of the second round.” - Tony Pauline
This echoes statements previously made by NDT Scouting’s Jon Ledyard, who pegged Hernandez for a fall and Corbett for a climb based on rumblings he heard at the NFL Combine.
Beyond the players noted, Auburn’s Braden Smith is the only other guard with a Day 2 grade on my board, so “depth” may be referring to top end talent and not talent throughout the entire class. That said, if you take into account some teams wanting to move Texas’ Connor Williamsand Humbolt State’s Alex Cappa inside, it definitely becomes a deeper position.
Many front office guys still think that Corbett will go late 2nd just because there isn't tape of him inside at guard. It gives some hesitation. 

But personally I would have no problem if a team grabbed Corbett in the early 2nd. I do think he has the potential to be an above average starter.