Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings looking at FA CB
Not sure it's the right guy, but it's the right approach. With three 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder already there, it makes more cap sense to fill the DB needs in free agency (maybe even after 6/1), than to invest another high pick on one. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Not sure it's the right guy, but it's the right approach. With three 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder already there, it makes more cap sense to fill the DB needs in free agency (maybe even after 6/1), than to invest another high pick on one. 
That presupposes that there will be a FA CB available that the Vikings like. And that we have the cap space to sign him taking into consideration all the current players we already need to extend.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
That presupposes that there will be a FA CB available that the Vikings like. And that we have the cap space to sign him taking into consideration all the current players we already need to extend.
It would obviously be a lower-tier free agent so cap space wouldn't be an issue.  It's not like he has to be Deion freaking Sanders. People talk about our corner situation like its Wasswa Serwanga and Robert Tate back there. We have two 1st rounders who are playing better every year, and a 2nd round nickel. We need a 4th corner who can replace Newman and push Alexander in the slot. Depth. The only reason you'd draft a corner #1 is if you were going to move on from Waynes. And even then, he's technically not free until 2020. 

A free agent would also be someone we knew could play in the NFL, unlike a draft pick (remember, players like Justin Gilbert and Dee Milliner were top 10 corners...and busts). Yeah, I know, ALL draft picks are shots in the dark regardless of position. But call me crazy, I don't want to take that expensive shot on a player who is going to be, at best, a 4th corner for at least 2 years. Give me someone I can put in my DL rotation or give me an OL who can protect my 84 million dollar investment. 

Yahoo Sports reports Johnson signed with the Seahawks today, so...
Maybe Vikings should try to sign Byron Maxwell? He was a hot FA target a few years ago. In hindsight I am glad we didn't get him...but might be good enough as depth.

Zim must of caught wind of his PFF grades... he’s a Squawk!  Wink 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
It would obviously be a lower-tier free agent so cap space wouldn't be an issue.  It's not like he has to be Deion freaking Sanders. People talk about our corner situation like its Wasswa Serwanga and Robert Tate back there. We have two 1st rounders who are playing better every year, and a 2nd round nickel. We need a 4th corner who can replace Newman and push Alexander in the slot. Depth. The only reason you'd draft a corner #1 is if you were going to move on from Waynes. And even then, he's technically not free until 2020. 

A free agent would also be someone we knew could play in the NFL, unlike a draft pick (remember, players like Justin Gilbert and Dee Milliner were top 10 corners...and busts). Yeah, I know, ALL draft picks are shots in the dark regardless of position. But call me crazy, I don't want to take that expensive shot on a player who is going to be, at best, a 4th corner for at least 2 years. Give me someone I can put in my DL rotation or give me an OL who can protect my 84 million dollar investment. 
So who do you have in mind? The Vikings tend to like younger FAs. There are not many young FA CBs available who can play and will sign for cheap. Breeland is available. And he is young. Sometimes he plays good; other times not. But will he come cheap? Jeremy Lane? Brandon Boykin? Will they come cheap? Why haven't we signed that guy already?
Is there someone not already available who you expect will be available after the draft that will fit the bill? 

The Vikings may like younger CBs. Zimmer, not so much. Jones and Newman weren't exactly spring chickens when they become Bengals.

Well, Darrelle Revis, DRC, Pac Man, and Bryce McCain are all available.