Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do Kirk Cousins’ current weapons compare to his strong 2016 season?
With the signing of wide receiver Kendall Wright, the Minnesota Vikings’ offense is nearly complete. They will certainly add another offensive lineman in the draft and could pick a tight end or wide receiver, but for the most part we know the look of the weapons Kirk Cousins will have around him.
Of the three years Cousins was the full-time starter in Washington, his best performance came when he had an outstanding supporting cast in 2016. Cousins’ offense ranked 12th in points, third in yards and second in passing yards. Individually, the Vikings’ new quarterback earned his only Pro Bowl bid in ’16, ranked seventh in passer rating and third in yards per attempt.
When Cousins’ supporting cast faded in 2017 with the exit of several key weapons and injuries to tight end Jordan Reed and on the offensive line, Washington’s offensive numbers dipped to 16th in points and yards and 26th in turnovers.
The Vikings are banking on their top-flight group of offensive players helping Cousins raise his play back to 2016 level. Do the Vikings have enough talent to recreate his 2016 performance? Could they be even better? Or will they struggle to provide him with as much help?
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...16-season/

Thats pretty much the question isnt it.  

Weapons matter, so does coaching...and nothing matters more than overall chemistry.  If the team believes in Cousins going forward, his much-ballyhooed payday will quit being news in a hurry.

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
Weapons matter, so does coaching...and nothing matters more than overall chemistry.  If the team believes in Cousins going forward, his much-ballyhooed payday will quit being news in a hurry.
Oh, they believe...To the tune of $84mm belief.

Those are big #'s, sure to tumble after Mr Rogers and Matty Ice get paid as we know...

In spite of the Eagles, Rams, Saints in the NFC, I'm pretty bullish on our Vikings team going into this season. 

& let’s not forget about the Viking Defense and those “weapons” 

I really have no idea what to expect from the upcoming season and the Vikes offense.  I believe that much of the offensive success last year was a team effort that was enhanced by Keenums pocket presence and his ability to move when needed while keeping his eyes downfiled and extending plays with his legs and accurate passes.  I havent seen enough of Cousins to speak to his abilities under similar circumstances.

Coaching and game planning also plays a big part.  The Vikes have been a defense centric team since Zimmer took over.  The offensive playcalling tended to be conservative instead of “airing it out” and relied on the stout defense to hold opposing teams to limited scoring and then grind out the clock.  While it worked for most of the regular season it seemed to fail them in the playoffs.

I’m looking forward to seeing how they will adjust this new season.  Will a new offensive coordinator bring a new identity to the Offense?  Will they be more aggressive, more vertical?

It is going to be very interesting.