Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Film review: Sheldon Richardson a disruptive force whom Vikings want to reach 'another level'
“There are things we feel technically, because of our coaching staff, that can even take him to another level,” general manager Rick Spielman said.Sheldon Richardson is on his third NFL team just five years removed from being drafted as the 13th-overall pick.
After moving on from Sharrif Floyd, the Vikings’ own first-round pick who suffered what could be a career-ending knee injury during surgery, the Vikings incur a different kind of risk in Richardson.
Richardson has missed more games to suspension (5) than injury (2) in his five NFL seasons. He was suspended four games prior to the 2015 season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy after testing positive for marijuana. He was then suspended one game for the 2016 season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. The Jets grew tired of his act and traded Richardson to Seattle just before the start of last season.
“We did a lot of research on that,” general manager Rick Spielman said of Richardson’s off-field issues. “That was maybe two-and-a-half, three years ago. We talked to a ton of people about it. We did, as we always do,  as thorough of a job as we can. And after spending almost two days with him, felt very confident that him coming into this culture, into our locker room that he’ll fit right in.”
On the field, Richardson’s value to the Vikings is immense. Spielman said as much with a one-year, $8 million contract (up to $11 million with incentives) for Richardson while trying to manage a salary cap with four cornerstone players — Barr, Hunter, Kendricks and Diggs — entering their contract season.
The 27-year-old defensive tackle comes to Minnesota in what should be his prime. Richardson played well enough for the Seahawks, after being traded to Seattle on Sept. 1, that they tried to keep him. But the Vikings outbid the Seahawks, and see a durable player still reaching his potential. He’s played in 73 of 75 NFL games for which he was eligible.
“There are things we feel technically, because of our coaching staff, that can even take him to another level,” Spielman said. “Not only because of the natural power, but the quick twitch at that position.”
Let’s take a closer look at what the Vikings are getting on the field in Richardson, a nimble interior rusher listed 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds...

http://www.startribune.com/film-review-s...477628603/

This guy is going to be what we wanted Floyd to be, but more!  Those long arms will make our run defense even stronger, while pushing the QB into the arms of Griff and Hunter. 

With health, and consistent play from our best players (29, 22, 55, 98), this defense should be better overall in 2018

A lot will depend on his work ethic and off-field behavior, but I could see the Vikings giving Richardson a long-term extension if things go well during the season. In just football terms, this is the kind of player you build a defense around. 

I am very optimistic about Richardson. At the same time, I'm glad to see "only" $8M is guaranteed - after all, I was optimistic about Datone Jones, too...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
A lot will depend on his work ethic and off-field behavior, but I could see the Vikings giving Richardson a long-term extension if things go well during the season. In just football terms, this is the kind of player you build a defense around. 
This deal reminds me of the deal Alshon Jeffreys signed with the Eagles...one year prove it...mid season after performing...long term deal...BOOM...

We've had a few guys with character problems that didn't work out, but we've had a few that did.  Carter is the famous example.  Jared Allen was a huge risk and I don't think he got in trouble once in MN. 

With this situation - a chance to be a key player on a Superbowl calliber team with a defense minded head coach...  On a 1-year prove it contract that could blossom into an enormous payday.  How can you _not_ do everything in your power to play lights out?  How can anyone in his family or group of friends _not_ give that guy all the tools he needs to keep his head clear and win a Superbowl?

If the Vikes were flailing I might be a skeptical.  But this situation provides entirely too much motivation.  Hell, Bryant McKinnie would probably keep his nose clean for this upcoming season (ok ok... not Bryant McKinnie, but you get what I'm sayin').

Quote: @"Steve" said:

With this situation - a chance to be a key player on a Superbowl calliber team with a defense minded head coach...  On a 1-year prove it contract that could blossom into an enormous payday.  How can you _not_ do everything in your power to play lights out?  How can anyone in his family or group of friends _not_ give that guy all the tools he needs to keep his head clear and win a Superbowl?
Right? All spot-on true...

Then real life hits and people make s hit decisions.

Time will tell if at this pivotal time in his career, Mr Richardson is his own best friend or own worst enemy. I love me a feel good story, hope we get one here.