Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From the Dog House to the Out House (Wright Cut)
I really like JW.  He gets open, has speed, then catches the damn ball.  So what what's the problem with that?  Hope he comes back.  Doubt it though.

I see it as a good thing for Jarius.  I don't know what he did to piss off Zimmer, but he deserved way more playing time the last 2 years.  

Quote: @"CLOBIMON" said:
@"TBro" said:
Sad to see him go. Although he is still under his rookie deal, I will be surprised if Treadwell is still with the team at the end of training camp. Could see a lot of new faces next to Diggs and Thielen this year. 
They almost have to be looking for another receiver in the top half of the draft now don't they since a couple of their biggest needs are addressed?

Thielen: 91 receptions for 1,276 yards
Diggs: 64 for 849
Rudolph: 57 for 532

McKinnon and Wright had 69 receptions combined and now they're both gone.

Treadwell had 20 and we have yet to see any resemblance of a 'flash' from him.

Cook is going to have to be everything we hope he can be in both rushing and receiving.  I have really good faith in that happening.  Still, it feels like they really need one more really solid receiving weapon.  Diggs seems to have a pattern of missing two, three games every season as well.

Id been thinking the same thing even before they cut him.  
they like Thielen in the slot.  They brought in Cousins to throw it.  He needs a few more targets including aother pass catching TE.  I dont think they have a lot of depth behind Rudolph.  I wonder what kind of assurances they gave Cousins as far as the reciever corps plans.
You have to wonder if they look for a speed outside guy or the big body red zome possesion target.
The draft will be very interesting.

It's sad to see good guys like Wright getting cut...but with that move and Murray re-structuring his contract, I read the Vikings are around 17 million under the cap right now.  Probably helps solidify BRob's position and possibly remaining on the team.

Tough cut on a good player who always produced when given plays. The Vikings have to be a bit ruthless in their goal of winning a Super Bowl....its necessary. Stacy Coley needs to stand up now. This is why you rely on your draft picks.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
It's sad to see good guys like Wright getting cut...but with that move and Murray re-structuring his contract, I read the Vikings are around 17 million under the cap right now.  Probably helps solidify BRob's position and possibly remaining on the team.
$17m before or after the $11m to Richardson. If after they say $5-6m for the draft and we still need a kicker. 

They were 21 millin under before Richardson signed.  His 11 mill brought them down to 10.  With the cuts and contracts they should be back up to 17 mill.
Plenty of room to add another OL or two who gets cut for cap reasons.  
Dont forget there is another FA period in June and there is always opportunities there after the draft.

On Jarius - he was one of our favorites.  Funny guy and always talked with fans and respectful of any chance to talk on camera.   The problem is, he did get in the doghouse for some reason, but got out of it last year.  As much as we like him, he did just have 18 catches all year, although over 100 yards in the playoff games.   The reality is, you can't pay a (going on) 7 year veteran $3.25M for that production.  I hope they bring him back under a smaller contract, but Coley is very similar and younger, and cheaper....with more upside

Jarious will be brought back at a better price if he doesn't sign elsewhere.  Hard to justify his salary when you only play half time.  

Vikings are at $29,913 ,861 after the Murray restructure, Wright release, and before including Richardson which is 8.

That puts them at $21.9 mil.

This is for the top 51 which is what the "Rule of 51" requires in the off season.

They do not need to have 5 to 6 mil in cap space to save for the rookies.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-nfl-rookie-pool-and-its-impact-on-the-salary-cap/

This is probably the most confusing aspect for most people. Some people
this its additional money added on top of the salary cap which is not
the case at all. The “Rookie Pool” is a cap within the salary cap. It is
essentially money that your team needs to place aside for your rookies.
It is not added to your salary cap at all.

Since the Vikings currently have 57 players under contract, when they do add a rookie, that salary will bump another salary off the bottom of the top 51.

So, they can still do some things but may not want to because the value may not be there.

A couple of players that are interesting to me are Matt Slauson and Jack Mewhort.

I think they wait it out until they can get some real bargains like the Eagles did last year when they got Patrick Robinson on a 1 year deal for apparently about 775K. 

I doubt they can get someone that cheap but around 1 mil to 1.5 mil will likely be the costs of players added later.

And when you add someone for 1 mil then someone at position #51 who is making 480K will be subtracted from the cap so you really are only using 500K of cap space to sign that player.

Yeah, I expect some more one year signings but not too many.  A guard, corner, linebacker, tight end, and receiver.