Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd’s suspension puts spotlight on Laquon Treadwell
Laquon Treadwell will have his chance to prove Mike Zimmer right.
On several occasions this offseason, the Minnesota Vikings’ head coach has sung the praises of the club’s 2016 first-round draft pick, who made just one catch on three targets in his debut season.
“He looks good,” Zimmer said during OTAs. “His stopping and starting, some of the routes he’s been running as far as when he has to come back…when he has to accelerate over the middle, inside breaks in routes, and you guys saw him catch the deep ball the other day. I think his game has expanded, I think he’s so much more comfortable now than he was a year ago.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/0...treadwell/

Zimmer mentioned multiple times last season that Treadwell hadn’t mastered route depths, which caused a lack of trust between the former Ole Miss star and quarterback Sam Bradford.
In June, Zimmer said that Treadwell has improved that area of his game.
“I think he’s developing a trust with the quarterback,” Zimmer said. “That’s most important, that trust with receivers, that they can get the right depth and be in the right place.”
Route depths might not have been the only factor that played into Treadwell seeing just 80 offensive snaps in Year 1. Late in the season, Zimmer eluded to an injury issue with with the 22-year-old receiver’s feet which may have slowed down his progress – though some have also voiced concerns about how well he’s adapted to the NFL.
Early on in OTAs, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said he’d seen noticeable improvement in Treadwell’s ability to grasp the mental elements of the game.

I'm pretty sure the spotlight has been burning bright over Treadwell for quite some time now.  Say, since the Vikings drafted him.  1st round picks don't go around spotlightless, especially skill position players.  His play last year has opened a door for others to exploit, there's no doubt about that.  But is there anyone who thinks he won't make the final roster or beat last years efforts?  (If you can call it that)  Treadwell is our #3 WR starting the year baring injury or a suspension of his own.  He'll have 4 weeks to prove that he should be the starting #3 and hold onto it after Floyd comes back.  Which I think is fair and warranted.  If he can keep the starting job over Floyd, I'm guessing our WRs in general are having a good year. 

[Image: 4ainbfaakcdb.jpg]
I'm looking forward to Treadwell tearing it up this season!  B)

I'm not so convinced that he "makes or breaks" things. I think if he steps up, great; he has a sweet skill set and it is easy to imagine the things he should be able to do out there. If he doesn't step up, I think we have a coaching staff with the guts to plug someone else in there and roll. They would coddle him; they won't settle for less at the position. If someone's got the wright stuff, they'll play over him. 

Bradford needs consistent targets. He knows where the ball needs to go, and puts it there. Treadwell is in for a crash course. There is no noise when it comes to who is doing what right in the passing game between the QB and WR. It's all on him. Mistakes will happen, but it's on him to get them corrected and be in better position next time. It's a great opportunity.

But it's a great opportunity for anybody. I think we have talented enough players at the position that someone very well could flash and step into the end of the WR rotation by the end of preseason. If Treadwell doesn't please the coaching staff heading into the season, maybe we see some surprising young guys hang on to roster spots at WR and then slowly see them creep into reps on game days. If Treadwell doesn't run with his chance. I don't see any reason why he can't... but, who knows if he isn't productive and someone else starts making plays...

Let's remind ourselves of who was playing the X (or 3rd receiver by snapcount) last year:
  • Charles Johnson, 406 snaps, 20 rec., 232 yards
  • Cordarrelle Patterson, 531 snaps, 52 rec., 453 yards
Our 3rd receiver position was pretty unproductive last year.  It won't take too much to match their output.

Quote: @medaille said:
Let's remind ourselves of who was playing the X (or 3rd receiver by snapcount) last year:
  • Charles Johnson, 406 snaps, 20 rec., 232 yards
  • Cordarrelle Patterson, 531 snaps, 52 rec., 453 yards
Our 3rd receiver position was pretty unproductive last year.  It won't take too much to match their output.
72 receptions for 685 yds wouldn't be too shabby at all for  Treadwell.  I'd be thrilled with that.