• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson a done deal
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JoDakota" said:
@"RushmoreVike" said:
@"Bolstad79" said:
@"Zanary" said:
Well...hot damn...

...I just hope it doesn't interfere with BRob, he's still important to the defense, the team, and the fanbase...!
He might need to take a restructured deal. But thats up to him.
Doing Greenway and now Robison this way will send a message to the rest of the team that Rick isnt to be trusted down the stretch for players hoping to end their careers in purple.  its a damn shame that they wont make it work for their own guys when they drop their pants for free agents.  Especially when their own guys are still performing at a high level...arguably higher than their replacements.
What kind of message does it send? The Pats have a ton of success, and they do business the same way. Look at all the aging talent they send down the road. Packers do too. Sharper, the kicker who kicked for us, Jordy Nelson. Guys get so wrapped up emotionally in players, but this is a team business.

BRob has been great, but if we have a chance to upgrade, we make the move (sorry Pops, tough situation for the family, so I feel for yours). Super Bowl teams usually have a short window, Rick is all in. 

Yes and let's put some perspective on all the worry for Brian: the Vikings paid him $20 Million for the last 4 seasons. Most of our kids would have to work about 200 years to earn that much. Now there is a rumor he might have to take a cut from over $3M to maybe "only" $2M next year, right?
Brian has been a great Vikings player, but he won a lottery ticket. Yes, he worked hard, but for every man who becomes an NFL player, especially one who starts and gets multi-million contracts, there are a thousand others who fell by the wayside, and it's often due to things out of their control, like injuries or a coach who didn't start them in high school or college or a scheme change that didn't show their skills or a slick surface at the combine, or whatever.
Some of the players in the NFL have won BIGGER lottery tickets, but let's not get too mad at the team because of the imbalance. Players have a union, they wanted free agency, not salary equity.

Professional Athletes aren't lottery winners. They're the top people in their industry.  It's no different then any other industry.

Some people are naturally talented at what they do, some have to overcome a lack of talent by out working others.  This is true in every industry.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
You guys are already all assuming BRob is going to be pushed out.  Nobody has said that, the only place it's a topic is here.  Don't jump the gun.
We're assuming that because his dad said that.

Yes i did. An article written a couple of days ago about him and Murray would be sked to take a pay cut or be released.
There's a little more but let's see how it works out first.

http://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-approac...-pay-cuts/

Im not sure about Hutch and Winfield but its not uncommon for contracts to be back loaded and if that is the case it is also not uncommon to ask the player to restructure or be released as was the case for Jordy Nelson.  He had a 10 million dollar cap number next season and reports are the pack really lowballed him.  I think if B Rob is the only one being asked to take a cut then yes he is really getting screwed but not so much my Spielman but the way business is conducted throughout the league.  But if players like Jarius Wright arent asked to to the same then yes that would be on Spielman and I would be somewhat upset if I were B Rob.  One problem I see in asking others is who do you ask ?  Below Robinson most players are only making 2 million a year and would any cut they take really make enough  a differance toward the cap anyway ? This may sound stupid, but has B Rob even been asked to take a cut or is it just speculation ?  I cant remember reading anything about it.  I was assuming by this thread that he already has been approached about it.

Quote: @"96POPS" said:
Yes i did. An article written a couple of days ago about him and Murray would be sked to take a pay cut or be released.
There's a little more but let's see how it works out first.

http://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-approac...-pay-cuts/
I realize as a father one would want his son to play forever, and a player would want to as long as he feels he can, but with that one would think that the player would need to make sacrifices to extend his career if a team is willing to keep him at all.  I mean, Brian is turning 35 during draft weekend and that's not an age most teams keep around at the DE position.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he's the third oldest in the league at the position behind Peppers and Freeney.  (Peppers of course just signed for one more final season at $5m.)  I'm of course not trying to push him out, and I'm sure he knows his age is against him...  He'll just have to decide if his passion to play is stronger than not being paid as much he wants.

I know some of you keep bringing up Jordy. So I'll tell you outright they didn't contact him to discuss anything. They just called to tell him he was being released.
Yes i understand the age thing but hey last year he played half the time and had 4 sacks. The year before he played very little at his LDE position and had 7.5 sacks. Hunter didn't match that as a starter. So yeah he's getting older but it doesn't look like he's dropping off any. One more year is all he's asking for.
But, that may not happen. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
AW didn't want to take a pay cut.  BRob already did.  One could argue that BRob has already been "handled" as he had the starting job take away, took a pay cut and in the JA years was told to take up blockers rather than rush.  BRob has already taken several for the team and with his leadership and play on the field, he deserves to play out the contract.
I totally agree. BRob has given more than his fair share for this team & organization. He 100%  deserves to play this year.

Quote: @"96POPS" said:
I know some of you keep bringing up Jordy. So I'll tell you outright they didn't contact him to discuss anything. They just called to tell him he was being released.
Yes i understand the age thing but hey last year he played half the time and had 4 sacks. The year before he played very little at his LDE position and had 7.5 sacks. Hunter didn't match that as a starter. So yeah he's getting older but it doesn't look like he's dropping off any. One more year is all he's asking for.
Pops  I hope  Brian is with the team next  year  he is one of  my family's favorites  the kids have his jersey  I didn't see a drop off  so I'm surprised that he was approx he'd but I feel he is staying since Jarius was just realesed

Quote: @"Viking1987" said:
@"96POPS" said:
Pops  I hope  Brian is with the team next  year  he is one of  my family's favorites  the kids have his jersey  I didn't see a drop off  so I'm surprised that he was approx he'd but I feel he is staying since Jarius was just realesed
I wish i felt as confident as you. Sadly I think it will be  goodbye.
It's a shame it has to end this way but it is a business.

Now that Wright has been released and Murray restructured along with Tom Johnson likely gone I hope they do keep B Rob.