Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharrif Floyd's contract did not toll - becomes a FA
https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018-03-14-nfl-announces-sharrif-floyds-contract-did-not-toll-will-become-a-fa/

NFL announces Sharrif Floyd's contract did not toll, will become a FA

According to Ben Goessling of the Star Tribune that won't be an issue and Floyd is set to become a free agent today.

This won't clear any cap space for the Vikings but brings to a close the interesting career of Sharrif Floyd as a Minnesota Viking. 

According to a NFL release, Sharrif Floyd's contract did not toll into 2018. He's officially a free agent, though he still has a grievance in settlement negotiations that will determine how much he should have made from the Vikings in 2017.
LIVE WELL ~ LOVE MUCH ~ LAUGH OFTEN

I'll drink to that...

Oops, wrong Floyd...

So we are still carrying his salary for the cap but we no longer have the player?

Quote: @dadevike said:
So we are still carrying his salary for the cap but we no longer have the player?
I think it probably affected the carry over, not sure though...

Quote: @Kentis said:
@dadevike said:
I think it probably affected the carry over, not sure though...

My guess is SF's contract was for a certain number last year, let's say $7M. But the Vikings only paid him, say, $2M because their position is his injury is a medmal injury not a football injury.  (Basically, they are saying get it from the surgeon since you are suing him anyway.) SF, or the Union, files a grievance for the rest of the money.  So how is that $5M treated under the cap in 2017?  I assume they have to account for it.  But the Vikings would like to free up that money so they can roll into 2018.
The tolling issue is now resolved so SF is a FA. He is gone. But the grievance remains pending.  The Vikings may eventually have to pay SF the remaining $5M. So that money is still tied up and not available to be used now in FA.
That's my guess.

I read when Floyd's contract wasn't tolled, the Vikings recovered 6.7 mil. over it.  But, the jury is still out on how much the Vikings really owe Sharif.

Last week, Spotrac was listing Floyd within our cap at $6.7M, but now it is gone. Not sure Spotrac is perfectly authoritative, but it suggests his free agency relieves 2018 cap space for the Vikings. His full salary was listed against our cap in 2017, so why would it count in two different years if we aren't paying him the same salary for two years (as would happen if it did toll)?

Good stuff, needed this cap relief.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Last week, Spotrac was listing Floyd within our cap at $6.7M, but now it is gone. Not sure Spotrac is perfectly authoritative, but it suggests his free agency relieves 2018 cap space for the Vikings. His full salary was listed against our cap in 2017, so why would it count in two different years if we aren't paying him the same salary for two years (as would happen if it did toll)?

Good point. If his entire 2017 salary counted against our 2017 cap and he is now a FA, then even if he is still owed part of his 2017 salary it should not affect our 2018 cap space.  The only thing left then is whether Wilf writes Floyd another check.  And I don't care about that.