Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here’s what new Vikings coordinator John DeFilippo values in QBs
DeFilippo said determining the Vikings’ quarterback of the future is “going to be a collaborative effort” that franchise leaders all must agree on.
“As much or as little of my input as they want, I’ll give them,” he said. “I know whatever information I give them will be very educated and very researched.’’
But what exactly is DeFilippo looking for in a quarterback? He touched on that last week during a Super Bowl media session and again in Friday’s conference call.
“I’ll preach this until the last day I coach: character, character, character in the quarterback room,” he said last week.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/09/he...es-in-qbs/

In terms of on-field quarterback skills, DeFilippo particularly values three traits: decision-making, timing and accuracy. He said completion percentage and interception percentage are the traits that follow a quarterback from high school to college, and college to the NFL.
“If they’re high interception percentage guys in college, what makes you think they’re going to get any better in the pros?” he said. “Likewise with completion percentage. If a guy doesn’t know where his check downs are in college, he’s not going to be able to check the ball down in the pros. So those are the three things to me, when you’re evaluating quarterbacks, on top of character: decision-making, timing and accuracy.”
DeFilippo, who has worked with Derek Carr in Oakland and Carson Wentz and Nick Foles in Philadelphia, also wants a quarterback with some mobility.
“I’m not a big believer in quarterbacks that are a stick in the mud back there, they’re in cement back there at 7½ yards deep,” he said. “Our quarterbacks are going to have to show some form of athleticism, yes.”
But DeFilippo isn’t a coach who demands a certain type of player. He joked that he would love to build a robot quarterback, but doesn’t like to compare one guy to another. He’s willing to work with whatever his quarterback’s strengths are. When Wentz went down with a torn ACL late in the Eagles’ season, DeFilippo and Co. focused on Foles’ strengths.
“I sat (Foles) down and made him list me with our coaching staff, ‘What are your best concepts? What do you see yourself do well?’ ” DeFilippo said. “Because myself, (Eagles offensive coordinator) Frank Reich, (Eagles head coach) Doug Pederson, we’re not the ones out there throwing it. He is. So we really sat down and spent some time with Nick and what he felt comfortable doing.”

Vikings new offensive coordinator DeFilippo describes his ideal quarterbackJohn DeFilippo celebrated a Super Bowl, then became an offensive coordinator, and now he will play a large role in the Minnesota Vikings’ biggest offseason decision: Selecting a quarterback.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...arterback/

What do you  do well as a qb?  That's a great place to start  building a schemo and a offense  plan  don't try sticking a square in a circle

DeFilippo...the anti-Norvell...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

DeFilippo, who has worked with Derek Carr in Oakland and Carson Wentz and Nick Foles in Philadelphia, also wants a quarterback with some mobility.
“I’m not a big believer in quarterbacks that are a stick in the mud back there, they’re in cement back there at 7½ yards deep,” he said. “Our quarterbacks are going to have to show some form of athleticism, yes.”

I'm getting the feeling Bradford is out of the picture now. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm getting the feeling Bradford is out of the picture now. 
Accuracy and decision making are telling factors as well.