Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happily Chowing Down on my Crow!
PTN here, for those who remember!  I'll tell ya, I didn't think much of this Thielen kid early last year, even though everyone who went to training camp was singing his name.  Last year he proved me wrong.  This year.... whoo boy!  I couldn't be happier to be so wrong!  Of all the stories that come out of this incredible team, his is the one that really gets me.  Hometown kid from a small Minnesota town.  Goes to school at Mankato.  Not invited to the combine even though he could run a sub 4.5 40.  And he picks the Vikes for his walk-on rookie tryout.  Then he grinds away and works his way into the lineup and turns himself into a key player for one of the best seasons in Vikings history!  And he's pushing to bring home the first home-team superbowl in NFL history!  The guys at NFL films can't even make up a better story!  I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know.  I still love hearing it though.  I'll happily listen to it ten times today and another 50 over the next couple of weeks.

Well, I'm here to tell all of you that you were right and I was wrong.  This kid has it.  He's special.  I can't wait to see this team play today!

SKOL to all!  It's been too long!

Welcome back! Be in chat tonight sir!

Yeah, his story is going to play huge if the Vikings make it to, um, Minneapolis.

What I think gets lost in the hype is that he wasn't just an "undrafted free agent." For 99% of the players given that label, it means the player was signed to one of those college free agent contracts on the final day of the draft. That's not the case with Thielen. As you point out, Thielen was a local tryout player! As long as the odds are for college free agents, I would imagine the odds for tryout players are astronomical.

I'd be curious to know how many have become NFL starters, or Pro Bowl players.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:I'd be curious to know how many have become NFL starters, or Pro Bowl players.  
I'm curious about that as well.  John Randle, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, Drew Pearson, Wes Welker, Adam Vinaterri.  And kind of Warren Moon, but his story's a little different I think.  Everyone knew he was good. 

That's pretty much the list of well known UFAs.  On that whole list, I think most of them were invited for tryouts.  I know Randle had a tryout with Tampa and was invited to MN.  Warner and Moon both garnered interest after playing in other leagues.  I can't imagine either of them not getting a phone call ahead of their tryouts.  I'm pretty sure Romo and Welker both had invites (I could swear I've heard it talked about during games).  No idea about Drew Pearson or Vinaterri.  Pearson could very well have walked on - he was the guy who caught the immaculate reception - things were less formal in those days.  I could see Vinaterri walking on as well, but then again, who would give a walk-on kicker a legitimate shot? 

There are probably more stories from pre-1980 about players who's names I wouldn't recognize today.  Pre-1980 if a player wasn't a Viking and not in the HOF I probably wouldn't recognize them.

Thielen has placed himself in very rare company.  Being a walk-on AND playing for his home team.  That has to be altogether unique.

AT is just an awesome player.  The only things that exceeds is athletic ability is his effort and smarts.  He's got it all, speed, great hands, great routes, and he's full speed.  Love the guy.

What I find crazy is all of the "Stars" for the offense are just a bunch of overlooked cast offs.  Not one starter in the list of RBs, WRs, or QB is a high draft pick. 

Feel good story for sure. I hope his back isn't too f'ed-up for him to be effective today...Without Cook, it's been up to the WR's to make the big plays this season. 

Hopefully Case Keenum gets to add his name to this short list