Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings OC: Eagles’ depth on defense line is ‘like hockey lines’
Sunday’s NFC Championship game is expected to have an old school, grind-it-out feel.Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said Thursday one of the advantages the Philadelphia Eagles have in a ground-and-pound matchup is depth on defense, especially the defensive line.

“They play lots of players, so the ones that are in there, they’re rotating them like hockey lines, so they go in there and they sell out, and they get a rest,” Shurmur said. “They really trust their guys to be in critical situations. Sometimes when defensive lines rotate, you get to what would be considered a critical third-down, and they make sure they just put the front-liner, but they play their guys.”
The highest percentage of snaps played by any Eagles defensive lineman was pass rusher Brandon Graham, who was on the field for 64 percent of total plays. Superstar defensive tackle Fletcher Cox played 58 percent. Rookie pass rusher Derek Barnett added to an already-gifted D-line, playing 41 percent of snaps and picking up 5.0 sacks this season.
“You’ve  got to know each guy that is in there,” head coach Mike Zimmer said . “Obviously, Fletcher Cox is a terrific player. They come at you in waves. They’re similar to us defensively. They line up and they do what they do. Kind of what we do too. So, you’re going to kind of know where they’re going to be. It may be a different guy that you’re going against because they’re changing but they’re all good and they come at you and stay fresh. So, we’re going to have to suck it up and play four quarters.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/01/vikings-oc-eagles-depth-defense-line-like-hockey-lines/

The Eagles are a talented team. There's no getting around it. The media is overplaying Foles's impact or lack thereof. 

Very talented defensively with just enough offense.  When Wentz was behind center the offense was obviously much much better and I would be way more concerned playing them this weekend.

It's a tidbit that I haven't heard from other teams playing the Eagles, shows just how much this coaching staff is dialed in, studying and preparing our team.  I'm certain they are looking for ways to exploit their hockey lines when they "sell out".   I'm in the Philly area and have seen many of their games.  They do sell out and teams generally haven't taken advantage...qbs end up running for their life, throwing into coverage, etc.  I'd sit there watching the games laughing at the opposing offense's ineptness thinking I can't wait until we play them. 

Look at what Seattle, Rams and Giants where able to do...they used this to their advantage...we must do the same to be successful or it will be a long day for Case.  I trust our Coaches to game plan and our players to execute.

Screens and slants. Screens and slants. Screens and slants. Then the run game. 

agree, throw in the occasional deep ball to keep them honest and we should be good.  I saw something that stated the most effective game plan incorporated rub routes and double moves after setting them up with slants and quick outs.

This is when the hurry-up offense that Schurmur learned from Chip Kelley could help.  Keep their D-linemen on the field, and try to get ahead early.  The longer the Eagles are in the game, the harder it will be to win.

If we can hold the Saints to ZERO points in the first half, we should be able to do the same to the Nick Foles-led Eagles.  The question is whether our O will be able to score on the Eagles' D.

Should be a very good football game.