Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hartman: Keenum grew into starter's role as Vikings QB
There is no question that Case Keenum’s performance during the 2017 season for the Vikings is going to change his career.
He finished the season as the 45th-highest-paid quarterback in the NFL, trailing signal-callers such as Ryan Mallett, Scott Tolzien, Matt Moore and Paxton Lynch.
Keenum also finished the season second in Total QBR, ESPN’s quarterback rating system, ahead of stars such as Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.
“I think you dream about it, it’s always a dream, it’s why we play the game to play well and do what we do,” Keenum said about his season. “To see it come true has been incredible.”
Keenum learned the game from his father, Steve Keenum, a renowned high school football coach in Texas. Case said that when it came to the constant questions about his ability to start this season — and whether Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater would eventually take over his spot — he knew to keep his head down and just work.
“I had to try to put that out of my mind and not think about that,” Keenum said. “Really having that come up every week allowed me to just put my blinders on and not think about it, focus strictly on my job and what I had to do and let everything else come.”
Keenum finished the regular season with a 98.3 QB rating, slightly behind Bradford’s 99.3 mark in 2016 but ahead of Bridgewater’s 88.7 mark in 2015.
http://www.startribune.com/after-slow-st...468222103/