Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emmitt has one hell of a kid, carving his own path....
EJ Smith Is Carving His Own Path in His Famous Father's FootstepsEmmitt Smith can only remember being nervous a handful of times during his 15 NFL seasons. There were butterflies before the three Super Bowls, of course, and before the October 2002 game in which he became the NFL's all-time leading rusher. But none of those experiences compare to how anxious he got this fall when he watched high school football on Friday nights.
Although Emmitt remains a fan of the Florida Gators and the Dallas Cowboys, the teams on which he excelled, the squad he follows most closely now is Jesuit Dallas. And the reason the Rangers make him so nervous is not their record, but the fact their star sophomore running back is Emmitt James "EJ" Smith IV, Emmitt's eldest son.
"I'm nervous as all get-out," Emmitt tells Bleacher Report. "Watching him run is like I'm running. I'm analyzing, seeing if he's missing cuts. I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm tense. My nerves are shot until the game is over and he walks off the field."
This season, EJ gave his father—and the rest of the Rangers faithful—far more reasons to cheer than to fear. After spending last season on the freshman team due to Dallas University Interscholastic League (UIL) rules, EJ debuted on varsity this season as a running back and wide receiver. In 12 games, he amassed nearly 2,000 yards from scrimmage and scored 35 touchdowns. The Rangers went 7-5 and reached the second round of the UIL 6A State Championships. It seems perfectly fitting that EJ, who wears his father's No. 22 jersey, has ended up here as a rising recruit, but it wasn't always clear that football would be in his future.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27514...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial