Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings’ Mike Zimmer vs. Bengals’ Marvin Lewis: awkward time for friends to face off
Last month, Mike Zimmer and Marvin Lewis hung out together at Zimmer’s ranch in northern Kentucky. On Sunday, the two good friends will meet for the first time in the regular season as opposing head coaches.
Zimmer is in his fourth season with the Vikings after spending six years as Lewis’ defensive coordinator in Cincinnati. They will be all business when their teams face off at U.S. Bank Stadium, but the two took time Wednesday to reflect on their friendship.
“I love Marvin Lewis,” Zimmer said. “He’s an unbelievable person, great guy. Heck of a football coach. He’s done tremendous things there in Cincinnati. It happens. You get a chance to play your friends and people who you used to work with. This is a game of I see numbers, not faces.”
It’s awkward timing for Zimmer to go against the Bengals, who are 5-8, creating plenty of speculation that Lewis will be out as coach after 15 seasons.

Lewis is 123-111-3 and has won four AFC North titles. But the Bengals are 0-7 in the playoffs during his tenure, and they are assured of a second straight non-winning season.

“He’s had success,” Zimmer said. “When he first started, they weren’t very good. He got them to (the playoffs seven times). I think he’s a heck of a coach. He does unbelievable things in the community. … In my opinion, he should be able to stay there as long as he wants.”
http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/13/vik...d-friends/