Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Social media is ripping society apart'
My thoughts on this... We've had internet and forms of social media since the 90's (if you used a board/forum prior to then, you may even get this in two waves).

When PCs blew up, these services got bigger. The only thing holding them back from what they have become today was access. People no longer need to set themselves aside to sit down on a PC.

I worked for a big cellular company through the "boom." I got paid pretty good to push smartphones on everyone. As more people made the change, it was easy to not even offer anything else. Now everyone has internet AND a PC in their pocket.

Smartphones have ripped social media apart by essentially opening the back door to anyone and everyone at any time. For a long time, the internet was kind of a separate reality; you needed to travel to get there. And if some ugly shit was on there, oh well; it's online and mom will never see it. Smartphones have forced a total adaptation of the internet to the point where now... you just expect mom will see that shit. The internet now is a place that everyone can see at any time.

We all rushed out to have a smartphone. Now that everyone has one we almost realize the effect of it...

It's ironic that the same device has a social stigma for wreaking havok on people's daily life - a stigma that doesn't exactly care what is being posted on social media as long as your face is buried in it.