Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer doesn’t need to name Keenum starter for the rest of the year
Urging Following the Minnesota Vikings’ 24-7 win over the Los Angeles Rams, three different national postgame shows declared that head coach Mike Zimmer should announce Case Keenum as his starting quarterback for the rest of the year.Um. Why?

Sure, Keenum has been good. He’s won six games in a row and totaled 11 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 92.6 quarterback rating. And he’s done so in the midst of a national debate over whether the Vikings should bench him for Teddy Bridgewater.
Keenum was made for this type of situation. Questions about whether he should be the starter – whether it’s from the head coach or the fans, who some Tweeters reported to have been chanting, “Teddy! Teddy” on Sunday – are Keenum’s norm. Ask a hockey player if he’s distracted by the cold or a baseball player if the sun is in his eyes. Yep, but that’s how it always is.
The locker room isn’t split. Bridgewater’s been Keenum’s biggest supporter. And Zimmer’s lukewarm endorsements haven’t dimmed Keenum’s beaming confidence.
Naming him the starter for the rest of the year only sets up for Zimmer to look silly if he has to bench Keenum.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...rest-year/

But if Keenum hits the wall as he’s done in the past, the Vikings’ head coach has to leave the door open for Bridgewater to come back.
We say that it’s impossible to tell what Bridgewater will look like when he returns, but  Zimmer has seen the former first-round pick in practice every day since mid October. He’s got a much better idea than any of us.
If Bridgewater got into a game and struggled, Zimmer could always turn back to Keenum. The journeyman showed against the Chicago Bears that he can be benched and pop right back in with no problem.
Another point is how Zimmer has handled his locker room this year. He mentioned last week that he’d meet with the team’s leadership to discuss the quarterback situation. So it won’t just be a Zimmer decision – it will be a Riley Reiff, Everson Griffen, Terence Newman etc. decision.
The Vikings also have time to sort these things out. Six weeks is a long time. If Keenum sputters against Detroit, they would have 10 days for Bridgewater to get ready. If he’s great, they keep riding him and see what happens along the way.
Locking into Keenum now would only leave Zimmer’s hands tied if things go south later on.

I completely agree with Coller on this. Time to pivot from the qb discussion to 8/2 & 3 really tough road games coming up...

Towards the end of the game, PA was blathering on about wanting some strange fantasy where Case comes off the field while Teddy comes running out...to a standing ovation...for the last drive !?
I kid you not

His hands are only tied either way if one of them gets hurt.  Ideally they could get a good 2nd half lead to see if things look jut as good live as they do in practice.  I think if the Thielen hadn't turned that short pass it a long TD Teddy might have come out the next series.  Hopefully they can get a 2 TD lead in the 3rd and give Teddy a quarter or two to knock the rust off

The longer Teddies knee is able to get stronger the better

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
But if Keenum hits the wall as he’s done in the past, the Vikings’ head coach has to leave the door open for Bridgewater to come back.
We say that it’s impossible to tell what Bridgewater will look like when he returns, but  Zimmer has seen the former first-round pick in practice every day since mid October. He’s got a much better idea than any of us.
If Bridgewater got into a game and struggled, Zimmer could always turn back to Keenum. The journeyman showed against the Chicago Bears that he can be benched and pop right back in with no problem.
Another point is how Zimmer has handled his locker room this year. He mentioned last week that he’d meet with the team’s leadership to discuss the quarterback situation. So it won’t just be a Zimmer decision – it will be a Riley Reiff, Everson Griffen, Terence Newman etc. decision.
The Vikings also have time to sort these things out. Six weeks is a long time. If Keenum sputters against Detroit, they would have 10 days for Bridgewater to get ready. If he’s great, they keep riding him and see what happens along the way.
Locking into Keenum now would only leave Zimmer’s hands tied if things go south later on.

What wall?
What game/games?
Explain please. 

In 2013 he took over on a team that just lost 4 in a row. and were out scored 45-125
Lost 1st game by 1 point
2nd by 3 points
3rd by 3 points
4th by 5 points
5th by 7 points
6th by 3 points
7th by 7 points
8th by 22
Sat while the team finished 0-2 and were out scored 23-53

played 2 games won them both

lost his 1st start by 3 points
won 3 in a row
lost his last game by 3 points in over time.

lost 1st start badly
won 3 in a row
lost next 4. 2 of them by 3 points each
won the next game
Goff took over finished 0-7 

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
Towards the end of the game, PA was blathering on about wanting some strange fantasy where Case comes off the field while Teddy comes running out...to a standing ovation...for the last drive !?
I kid you not
Paul Allen drives me nuts. I cannot stomach listening to the dude. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Maple Surple said:
I kid you not
Paul Allen drives me nuts. I cannot stomach listening to the dude. 
I will not and cannot listen to him...

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
I kid you not
You say that like it would be a bad thing.