Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaron Donald or Anthony Barr?
Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
I wanted Donald and would still prefer him.  Love my big uglies. 

Barr is playing well again this year... but what about next year?  He seems to take plays, games or even seasons off and until he doesn't he will not be a ROH guy for me.   He's a good player that makes great plays at times and this year is one of those times.  Last year?  Not so much...  How bad was his play last year, how much has he improved his effort this year?  He is one solo tackle away from matching his total from last year... and we are half way thru this season.  He stepped up his game big time this season and I'm glad.  
Yes - I think everyone picking Barr is completely thinking of 2017 and ignoring 2016. How would this question have been answered at the end of the last season?

With a due over, knowing how everything has played out, the answer should be Donald, and it really shouldnt be much of a discussion. 

But at the time the selection was made and with the info available, Barr was the better choice.   Floyd had had a solid rookie season playing behind a borderline HoF player. there was every reason to believe he would trend upward and be a top 5-7 type UT for the next 6-8 years. He never was going to be John Randle, Keith Millard, Alan Page or Kevin Williams, but he wouldnt have shamed their legacy. 

OTOH, our line backer corps was the weakest position group on the team (which is saying something) and we didnt have anywhere close to the personnel necessary to either compete with any scheme, let alone run Zimmer’s. The DL already projected to be the strongest part ofnthe defense. They wouldn’t have captured that much marginal improvement by drafting Donald and having him play over Floyd. but there was a lot of improvement to he had by drafting Barr and playing him over whever stiff was out there the previous year.  

and that was the argument I made in 2014 and its still the right argument now. i dont watch college football much so I had no great bias towards either of these players. 

whats funny about this is when Barr was selected most people had no idea who he was and those that claimed to know were pretty vocal about him being a reach.  I dont recall even hearing his name pre draft for us and only a few spoke positively about the selection right afterwards.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
whats funny about this is when Barr was selected most people had no idea who he was and those that claimed to know were pretty vocal about him being a reach.  I dont recall even hearing his name pre draft for us and only a few spoke positively about the selection right afterwards.
I remember watching his sports science video tho.  Amazing explosion and burst for a guy that size.

Yea, I was very surprised by the Barr pick like I was Kevin Williams years earlier.