Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridgewater and Keenum’s personalities make Vikings controversy-proof
Bridgewater was activated on Wednesday, marking the first time he became eligible to play since August 2016. Head coach Mike Zimmer has not given any indication if or when the Vikings plan to turn the ball over to Bridgewater.
The Vikings’ head coach, however, is confident in the personality of his 25-year-old QB.
“Everybody just likes to be around him, he’s like the anti-me,” Zimmer joked. “He’s smiling all the time. He’s always joking around with the guys. He’s just got a great personality.”
When the Vikings signed Keenum, they knew his personality be a good fit for a potentially awkward quarterback situation. He’d been benched for No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff in 2016. The year before that he came in to relieve Nick Foles. In 2014, he played two games filling in for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Keenum’s first career action came in 2013 when he took over for Matt Schaub. Later in the year, Schaub took the job back.
This year’s in-flux situation is probably a relief for Keenum because includes his team winning with regularity.
“I think a lot of things in my life have prepared me for future things,” Keenum said. “I just got asked a few questions about Jared Goff. Last year every interview I did was about Jared so I’ve been prepared whether it’s Sam [Bradford] or Teddy [Bridgewater] or whoever else, I’ve been prepared for these types of situations.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...rsy-proof/

But it’s nearly impossible to conjure up a situation in which Keenum and Bridgewater would become a distraction. Even if Bridgewater took over and struggled, Keenum has shown that he can handle that scenario just fine. When Sam Bradford returned in Week 5 against the Bears and re-injured his knee, Keenum came off the bench and went 17-for-21 in a win.
The Vikings’ locker room is also key to the equation. It’s Teddy’s locker room, but there is belief in Keenum. There is also a wide-ranging group of veteran players who have seen everything under the sun when it comes to quarterbacks.
Zimmer said Thursday he’s been impressed with the zip on Bridgewater’s passes and how quickly he’s dropping back from under center. Bridgewater said he has no concerns about the knee. It seems like only a matter of time before the Vikings have Teddy back. But if he stays on the bench, it will only be because Keenum keeps winning. That’s a pretty good formula for avoiding a QB controversy.