Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you appeal a non-suspension?....
Somehow, the same knuckleheads who suspended Sendejo for hitting a still-moving wide receiver-turned-runner (Wallace) decided not to suspend Kiko Alonzo who put a worse hit on Joe Flacco -- I know, but technically, he IS a QB --  AFTER Flacco had started his slide.

I suspect if that were Rodgers or Brady instead of Flacco, Alonzo would be facing a firing squad on Friday.

I don't see the issue with the hit really.  Flacco slid very late, was in a full on sprint and dropped to slide right in front of Alonzo.  What is he supposed to do?

So if the slide was so late how did Alonzo still manage to accurately hit the QB in the head? How was he able to adjust his body angle to still target Flacco's head if the slide was too late for him to react?

And then why was Sendejo suspended? Wallace was a receiver-turned runner who was not down. He had not given himself up at all. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
So if the slide was so late how did Alonzo still manage to accurately hit the QB in the head? How was he able to adjust his body angle to still target Flacco's head if the slide was too late for him to react?

And then why was Sendejo suspended? Wallace was a receiver-turned runner who was not down. He had not given himself up at all. 
Not arguing Sendejo's suspension.  That was crap.  But as a multi-time offender with a name for hitting hard, they brought the boom down.

As to Alonzo, what is a defender supposed to do.  He was likely in good position for the tackle, crouched and ready.  Flacco slid very late and likely Alonzo started to tackle before he even started to slide.  And in good form, he would have tackled the runner in the midsection like he is supposed to.

Could he avoided?  possibly.  But then he could have given up a longer run as he pulls up and flacco continues running.  Wasn't this late in the game?  What the hell was Flacco doing?

And back to the QBs that want to run like a RB, but then slide right at the end.  This wasn't a scramble out of the pocket and slide when a tackler was in the general area.  He sprinted between people and then slid at the last second.  That is on the QB IMO.