Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop calling Adam Thielen a great story, start calling him a great receiver
The odds of Adam Thielen making the NFL were about as long as the Cleveland Browns making the playoffs this year, but his great background story – undrafted out of Mankato – in some ways is a holdup from giving the Vikings’ star receiver the credit he deserves.
Thielen isn’t great for an undrafted guy, he’s just great. And with Stefon Diggs out or slowed by a groin injury for the past few weeks, Thielen has made quite clear that he’s among the best receivers in the NFL. That was on display again in London as he grabbed five passes for 98 yards. Thielen could have had even more if a 40-yard pass hadn’t been called back for a chop block.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...-receiver/

Maybe Thielen surprised some people last season by catching 69 passes for 967 yards (and averaging the second best yards per target in the NFL), but he put a full season on tape last year and got paid.
Opponents aren’t underestimating him anymore, they’re just getting beat by him.
After Sunday’s game, Thielen has 48 catches for 627 yards – and that’s without the QB that helped him rise to a top receiver last season.  He could reasonably reach 100 catches this year.
So Thielen deserves to get the same type of attention for his play that other top receivers do, rather than just being known as that undrafted guy who made it. He showed that again against the Browns.

Nice signing by Spielman.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Nice signing by Spielman.

He's already outperforming his contract big time...

At what point do DCs start trying to scheme against him, or are they already? Is he drawing the opponent's #1 CB? Are they throwing a S over the top? I really haven't noticed...all I know is every game he makes a catch or 3 that is very reminiscent of one Cris Carter...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
At what point do DCs start trying to scheme against him, or are they already? Is he drawing the opponent's #1 CB? Are they throwing a S over the top? I really haven't noticed...all I know is every game he makes a catch or 3 that is very reminiscent of one Cris Carter...
I see him beating single coverage,  but where I see him shine is finding the holes in the zones and settling in for his QB.

AT on NFLN right now

Healthy Diggs and Thelein on  the field at the same time, takes 3 defenders attention. Maybe more depending on the routes. Both healhy, one is going to be open. Which is why we have been converting 3rd downs and getting plenty of big plays. There are few WR in this league Id take over either one. 

Now for that 3rd WR?!  Man if could Treadwell could speed up his progression or better yet we can get Floyd in the mix consistently. A BIG WR that could play big over the middle, taking a safety out of the play creates plenty of mismatches in a 3WR set. 

Play man on us, we can beat you.  Go Zone, even better. 3WR with Rudy in a route, takes 5 defenders for appropriate coverage which means running game advantages. ARGGHH DAMN IT DALVIN. 

With Cook, we have a dangerous 3 down back, one of the best in the league already. A top two duo of WR, plenty of deep weapons. A TD scoring TE and a good (and getting better OL). Quality QB play with this premier defense, its a top 4 team in the league

Quote: @Skodin said:
Healthy Diggs and Thelein one the field at the same time, takes 3 defenders attention. Maybe more depending on the routes. Both healhy, one is going to be open. Which is why we have been converting 3rd downs and getting plenty of big plays. There are few WR in this league Id take over either one. 

Now for that 3rd WR?!  Man if could Treadwell could speed up his progression or better yet we can get Floyd in the mix consistently. A BIG WR that could play big over the middle, taking a safety out of the play creates plenty of mismatches in a 3WR set. 

Play man on us, we can beat you.  Go Zone, even better. 3WR with Rudy in a route, takes 5 defenders for appropriate coverage which means running game advantages. ARGGHH DAMN IT DALVIN. 
I was hoping the effective #3 was going to be Floyd. Still am.

How about both. It is a great story. I absolutely love it. It's inspiring and presents well for the league. He is a great receiver and a good guy. I am so glad he is a Viking. He makes some pretty amazing catches.