Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit where credit is due
Wanted to acknowledge that Trae Waynes played a really good game yesterday.  I've been pretty hard on him so thought it would be good to eat a little crow.  Good job Trae.

That may have been his best game.  He may have gotten away with PI one time but that counts in his favor as far as I'm concerned.  I hope he starts getting the benefit of the doubt on close calls. It was Rhodes who gave up a big pass play yesterday.
As for eating crow, as far as I know we are all Vikings fans here. Even if we are critical of a player, we still want him to play great and become a great player. 
For a guy with his elite speed, I do not know why he gives receivers such a huge cushion. I assume he lacks some confidence and is concerned his man will beat him deep.  I suspect that if he lined up right in front of his receiver, right in his face, he would have an easier time staying with him. It takes some guts, but that's what great corners have in abundance.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
That may have been his best game.  He may have gotten away with PI one time but that counts in his favor as far as I'm concerned.  I hope he starts getting the benefit of the doubt on close calls. It was Rhodes who gave up a big pass play yesterday.
As for eating crow, as far as I know we are all Vikings fans here. Even if we are critical of a player, we still want him to play great and become a great player. 
For a guy with his elite speed, I do not know why he gives receivers such a huge cushion. I assume he lacks some confidence and is concerned his man will beat him deep.  I suspect that if he lined up right in front of his receiver, right in his face, he would have an easier time staying with him. It takes some guts, but that's what great corners have in abundance.
I keep seeing posters point out the fact that he's playing off coverage a lot... There is no way that Zimmer would let him play off coverage if the defensive play call called for press coverage.  So if he's off the WR, it's by design, not by choice.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"dadevike" said:
I keep seeing posters point out the fact that he's playing off coverage a lot... There is no way that Zimmer would let him play off coverage if the defensive play call called for press coverage.  So if he's off the WR, it's by design, not by choice.
I think Zimmer said earlier this season that he took Waynes out of a game briefly because he was playing too far off his man.  Seems odd that Zimmer's defensive plan would  regularly have Rhodes playing tight on his receiver but Waynes 10 yards off his man.  I guess anything is possible,  but I doubt it.

He's actually been really developing the last few weeks, something has seemed to click. His overall coverage has gotten a lot better, he needs to consistently get his head around but has shown some ball skills. 

This is kind of an odd stat but since 2015 (Trae's rookie season) he is tied for 2nd in team interceptions with 5. 

It took Rhodes that 3rd-4th year to really blossom, maybe waynes could be hitting his stride? He is very good in the run game and is definitely coming on in the passing game. If Mack continues to grow like he has as well and become what I think he could be (Which was a top level DB from the draft last year) then we are set at DB for a LONG time.

As long as you weren't a "richard" about it... I don't think you need to eat any crow.  We all have opinions... and we're all wrong.  Heck, I've always thought that Waynes was a better player than people gave him credit for... but that doesn't mean that the bottom won't fall out and he could start to really stink it up.  Who say the Martavis Bryant "thing" coming?  Certainly not the Steelers...

He's still a putz...  :p

[Image: e9wltbeld59b.png]
wow...thought this was a Spielman thread!  Wink