Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Bucs
Just when you think we are lost with Case, boom.  Obviously, that performance ended a lot of discussions on this board for a week.  Here are my miscellaneous thoughts on the game:
  • Cook.  I will start by saying that I have only owned one Vikings jersey in my life and the name on the back is a former running back.  AD, imho, remains the fastest, most powerful and elusive runner that every wore purple.  But Cook is something different and something better for these times and this team.  The offense doesn't have to adapt to him, he adapts to the offense needs.  Need someone to pick up the blitz, he is there.  Need a catch out of the backfield, he is [now] there.  Need some hard yardage, he is there.  And what I really like is he understands situational football.  With 9 minutes left, on a third down play, he made sure he stayed in bounds.  I would say he reminds me most of Chuck F. especially as he he has started to catch the ball.  There is an intelligence in his play that was unexpected -- yes, he has natural instincts but he understands the game (hence his blitz pick-ups).  I think the Vikes are just scratching the surface of his potential.  Right back at the right time.
  • Domino Effect.  One of the things that I like about football is the way all disparate parts somehow affects the other parts.  One of the major pebbles thrown in the pond this year is the offensive line.  The improvement in the line has obvious effects in better running and passing offenses.  But the better offense means more ball control and less time for the defense to be on the field.  That improves the defense's performance because they are less tired.  
  • Time of Possession.  In their two victories, the Vikes have had time of possession of 31:26 and 37:46; in their loss, 25:38.  Kind of an obvious statistics.
  • Non-Obvious Statistic.  Only non-obvious because I don't normally think about this but I stumbled across this little statistic: opposing teams are averaging -.3 yards per punt return.
  • Return of the Wildcat.  As I said last week, sometimes a play is only designed to make the other team have to use prep time preparing for something like the wildcat.  I think that is the value of the wildcat (especially when the game is fairly in hand).  Now Detroit is going to have to make sure they understand how to play the wildcat.
  • Eason.  Eason only killed one drive with a penalty and I don't think he actually committed a hold.  I am actually thinking of seeing whether there is an correlation between Eason penalties and Vikings victories.
  • Diggs/Thielen.  Who would have thought in 2015, with a roster including Patterson, Wallace, Wright and Charles Johnson, that Diggs and Thielen would be one of the best wide receiver tandems in 2017?  
  • Vikings PEE.  Case is the easy choice.  However, I am going in a different direction and going with Sparano.  I have had little faith in Sparano after the drafting of Beavers and last year's performance.  During the preseason I still had doubts about the Oline.  But after three games, I can definitely see the improvement.  I think it is a product of better talent, a scheme that works better with the talent and coaching.  The fact that they can play this cohesive so soon is remarkable.