Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A. Jones Status
The Vikings “avoided a long-term injury” with running back Aaron Jones, head coach Kevin O’Connell said Tuesday, but the bye week may not be enough time for him to be ready to play again.

Jones’ status for Oct. 20 against the Lions is up in the air after suffering a hip injury and leaving at the end of the first quarter of Sunday’s win against the Jets.

“I’d classify him as really ‘week to week’ at this point,” O’Connell said of Jones, who had seven carries for 29 yards and a 24-yard catch before exiting. “He’ll get treatment throughout this week.”

The Vikings intend to re-sign running back Myles Gaskin to the active roster and release tight end Robert Tonyan with the plan to bring him back on the practice squad, O’Connell said. The move provides depth behind Ty Chandler, who replaced Jones but found little production in 30 yards on 14 carries. Jones had a 32-yard run wiped out by an illegal shift from receiver Justin Jefferson.

O’Connell said he has “a lot of confidence” in Chandler, a third-year back with four NFL starts.

“Tough to lose some quality yards,” O’Connell said, “especially the type of game it was against one of the top defenses in the NFL. Thought there were some other runs where I think if Ty can get into a flow, into a groove, maybe we find a few more yards on them. But that’s all part of the process. I got a lot of confidence in Ty, really going back to last year.”

The Vikings outgained their opponent on the ground for the fifth straight week to begin the season. But Vikings running backs combined for a season-low 2.8 yards per carry against the Jets.

Source: Startribune