Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Has To Mess The Bed
... and bounce back from it in order to consider extending him.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently-- Would it be smart to extend Darnold now to something shorter and more manageable, versus potentially trying to outbid other teams for him on the open market in the offseason?

I've seen the question brought up here and my thought has been, let's just wait. There's no rush, it's only been 4 games, JJM looked great... It makes sense. But if he'd sign today for something like 2 years, $40M with an understanding we may trade him after year 1, would that be such a bad thing? It could wind up looking like a huge bargain as soon as a month from now. For reference, Baker had one good season in Tampa and signed a 3-year, $100M extension this past offseason. In other words, a two-year deal might be off the table come March. So there are pros to doing a deal now for sure.

But I realized if we signed him today and then the next week he has a dud, there would be absolute panic in the streets. It would be a very uncomfortable wait until the next game and then who knows what would happen. It's too scary to think about.

So I've decided I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other-- extend Sam soon or wait it out-- But I do feel like we HAVE to see Sam have a bad game (turnovers, lose, sacks, the whole 9) and come back the next week looking like Our Sam in order for me to fully have faith. Once he does that, I'm at peace with any decision. I should note I say this all as a huge, antsy, JJ McCarthy fan who would be excited to roll with him as QB1 next year as well.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv7xT-SDEAKm3FIdz7J2c...Q2Ta27lA&s]

JMO, this is JJM's teams sans a Superbowl. Bill Belichick agrees. I think the media will be ready to pounce on Sam with one mediocre or somewhat bad performance, which won't be fair of course as all QBs have their moments.

Listen, if somehow miraculously the Vikings get to the Superbowl this year, lol I really won't care about much at that particular moment other than 'was I hit by a car'? Or 'Am I inside of medically induced coma that has caused me to dream'?
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I'm rolling with JJM next year. Sam could win MVP and I'm rolling with JJM.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AGRforever's post:

Who are the people who are stressing out about this? The plan has never been to resign Darnold. Things would have to end up being so amazingly well to consider it. We just aren’t going to resign Darnold midseason.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post:

This is not an issue that I would want the front office or coaches/players to even have on their radar right now.

Concentrate on potential extensions for KOC/FLO if they want.

Its wk4 (and for anyone that wants to listen) we just beat the 49'ers, Texans and Packers @ Lamblow y'all better celebrate it.
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post:

(1 hour ago)medaille Wrote: Who are the people who are stressing out about this? The plan has never been to resign Darnold. Things would have to end up being so amazingly well to consider it. We just aren’t going to resign Darnold midseason.

well the plan wasnt for JJM to miss most of camp and the whole season of practice reps and clean up snaps, all good plans are flexible, SD was supposed to take the pressure off starting JJM if he wasnt ready, unfortunately we wont know if he is ready this year now so the plan is out the window and we need a new plan. the most logical plan would be to resign SD if we can to contract that gives him a little financial security, and give the Vikings two things, first they need to know they have a fall back at QB1 if for whatever reason JJM is not ready to go next year, and second the ability to move that fall back plan if JJM does indeed meet expectations to start next year.
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

I reiterate what I've said before: it's premature to have these discussions about extending Sam. It just is. We are 4 games in on his 17 game (or more) "Last Chance Redemption" tour.

If we could extend him for two years, that would be ideal, probably, because that would give us a theoretical top starter (him or JJM) to back up the actual starter. And then hand the reins off to JJM after 3 years (one of which was lost altogether due to injury).

This is a Cadillac problem to have. It's just premature to discuss it. In the meantime, sit back, buckle in and enjoy the ride.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

(50 minutes ago)Montana Tom Wrote: I reiterate what I've said before: it's premature to have these discussions about extending Sam. It just is. We are 4 games in on his 17 game (or more) "Last Chance Redemption" tour.

If we could extend him for two years, that would be ideal, probably, because that would give us a theoretical top starter (him or JJM) to back up the actual starter. And then hand the reins off to JJM after 3 years (one of which was lost altogether due to injury).

This is a Cadillac problem to have. It's just premature to discuss it. In the meantime, sit back, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

So, hypothetical for you ( which is really all we do here since none of us have any control what so ever over what happens with this team and its players) assuming things continue to look promising with Sam.... at what point do you pull the trigger on an extension? the longer you wait the more it will cost you, if his camp is even willing to look at a moderate money 2 year deal at that point. I have to think any extension talks should be taking place mid mid to late october, anything past that and you run the risk of him deciding to wait and test FA.

I admit I was very bearish on this season, I was thinking 6 or 7 wins tops, possibly worse, but after seeing how we did to date, and looking at how the rest of the schedule lays out, I could realistically see a 13-14 win season if they stay healthy and can continue to find growth on both sides of the ball. With that outlook I dont think its prudent to wait to long if they actually want him to come back.
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?