Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Upgrade over Hunter?
Through 4 games, Danielle Hunter has 1.5 sacks in Texas (and 10 tackles, neither of which shows up in the Top 50 in either category).

Through 4 games:
Pat Jones II has 5 sacks (good for 3rd in the league)
Jonathan Greenard has 4
Andrew Van Ginkel has 3

I'd say that the overall tradeoff letting Hunter walked has worked out pretty well so far.
[-] The following 2 users Like Montana Tom's post:

Of course. Hunter is underperforming big time to that contract he signed. But as I've mentioned before, I was fine with Danielle but never loved him. He was more of a stat guy than a game changer. Could disappear for big chunks of time. 10 COMBINED tackles and only 1.5 sacks? Yikes.

Age salary cap and impact. I would say Vikings came out he winner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Still Hurtn's post:

For us, I was hoping Turner would have had more impact early on.

But yah, it may be the Vikings parted with Hunter at just the right time. We'll see if that holds-up 10 more games.

(3 hours ago)Montana Tom Wrote: Through 4 games, Danielle Hunter has 1.5 sacks in Texas (and 10 tackles, neither of which shows up in the Top 50 in either category).

Through 4 games:
Pat Jones II has 5 sacks (good for 3rd in the league)
Jonathan Greenard has 4
Andrew Van Ginkel has 3

I'd say that the overall tradeoff letting Hunter walked has worked out pretty well so far.

It sure looks that way. Hunter was so good against the run though, and he's not even doing that well in Houston. He does have a higher PFF grade than any of the Vikings pass rushers. 

Flores likes pressures much more than sacks. Sacks are great, but they're kind of a luck stat--right place, right time. Pressures is where the value is. It's why he wanted Davenport. It's why he wanted Greenard. 

I'm really starting to believe that with any defense coached by Brian Flores, the whole is always going to be greater than the sum of its parts. And that's a damn cost-efficient way of doing business.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(2 hours ago)MaroonBells Wrote: It sure looks that way. Hunter was so good against the run though, and he's not even doing that well in Houston. He does have a higher PFF grade than any of the Vikings pass rushers. 

Flores likes pressures much more than sacks. Sacks are great, but they're kind of a luck stat--right place, right time. Pressures is where the value is. It's why he wanted Davenport. It's why he wanted Greenard. 

I'm really starting to believe that with any defense coached by Brian Flores, the whole is always going to be greater than the sum of its parts. And that's a damn cost-efficient way of doing business.

I think keeping Flores is critical...I hope they can find some middle ground to make it happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

A couple of thoughts:
• I don’t really think it matters too much in how good Hunter is for the Texans. It’s how good he could have been for us vs what we got in return.
• I think Flores is the dominant factor in the equation. Everyone playing for Flores is probably getting better stats here than elsewhere.
• I think Hunter wasn’t a great scheme fit for a Flores defense. We brought in a bunch of guys who were excellent scheme fits. Hunter’s not really multiple. The guys we got are, and it unlocks a lot of flexibility for Flores.
• Defense more than anything is about not having weaknesses. I think if you can convert 1 expensive great guy and 2 subpar guys, into 3 good but not great guys, you probably need to do that every time. That said, we upgraded talent heavily all over the place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post: