Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings 2022 Draft Class - How are they doing?
Original Picks
Code:
Round 1: No. 12
Round 2: No. 46
Round 3: No. 77
Round 5: No. 156 (from Ravens)
Round 6: Nos. 184 (from Jets), 191 (from Ravens through Chiefs), 192
Round 7: No. 250 (from 49ers through Broncos)

Chaos

Code:
1. Lewis Cine: Safety, Georgia, Round 1, Pick 32 (From Trade with Detroit)
2. Andrew Booth: Cornerback, Clemson, Round 2, Pick 42 (Pick 34 we got from Detroit traded to GB for 53rd pick when we traded to Colts for 42 and 122)
3. Ed Ingram: Guard, LSU, Round 2, Pick 59 (Pick 34 we got from Detroit traded to GB for 53rd and 59th picks)
4. Brian Asamoah: Linebacker, Oklahoma, Round 3, Pick 66 (from Detroit)
5. Akayleb Evans: Cornerback, Missouri, Round 4, Pick 118 (from trading pick 156 with Cleveland)
6. Esezi Otomewo: Defensive Tackle, Minnesota, Round 5, Pick 165 (From trade with Colts which was traded to Vegas for 165 and 169)
7. Ty Chandler: Running Back, North Carolina, Round 5, Pick 169 (From trade with Colts which was traded to Vegas for 165 and 169)
8. Vederian Lowe: Offensive Line, Illinois, Round 6, Pick 184
9. Jalen Nailor: Wide Receiver, Michigan State, Round 6, Pick 191 (Trade with Chiefs for Mike Hughes)
10. Nick Muse: Tight End, South Carolina, Round 7, Pick 227 (Traded 122 to Vegas for 126 and 227) 

All said and done we end up with (still on the team): 
Pick 59: Ed Ingram (RG):
Pick 66: Brian Asamoah (LILB2)
Pick 42: Nahshon Wright (CB): Practice Squad (Andrew Boothe Jr traded to Dallas)
Pick 169: Ty Chandler (RB2)
Pick 181: Akayleb Evans (CB2)
Pick 191: Jalen Nailor (WR3)
Pick 227: Nick Muse (TE): IR

So does having 5 players that contribute every Sunday as bad as it originally looked? The question is not what we would/ could have had but if the 2022 draft help make the team better?

Ingram is a replacement level player at this point. Evans has seen his playing time decrease exponentially since his rookie year. Asamoah has been nothing but a backup. Nailor has been hurt and is only now making an impact this season. Chandler is a good #2 RB.

I look at our 2022 draft as we drafted one starter (Ingram) and have 2-3 depth players.

It was not an impactful draft short-term and does not appear to be long-term either. Ingram likely doesn't get a second contract. Evans and Asamoah won't get second contracts. Chandler might
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(3 hours ago)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Ingram is a replacement level player at this point.  Evans has seen his playing time decrease exponentially since his rookie year.  Asamoah has been nothing but a backup.  Nailor has been hurt and is only now making an impact this season.  Chandler is a good #2 RB.

I look at our 2022 draft as we drafted one starter (Ingram) and have 2-3 depth players.

It was not an impactful draft short-term and does not appear to be long-term either.  Ingram likely doesn't get a second contract.  Evans and Asamoah won't get second contracts.  Chandler might

I think Speedy and Chandler are the only ones that possibly could be extended past their rookie contract...and Nailor only if he can finally stay healthy.  Given we had stockpiled 10 picks...that's not a great draft to end up with a backup RB and a #3/#4 receiver past their rookie deals.  On further review, yep...that draft still sucks.

Any time your 1st and 2nd rounder fail, it's a bad draft. We had a lot of picks and only Nailor and Chandler look like hits to me. Although you can make an argument any time you get a starter for three years running (Ingram), you'll take it. It's not our best draft, but it's far from our worst. 2010, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18 and 19 were worse in terms of the number of contributors.

(2 hours ago)MaroonBells Wrote: Any time your 1st and 2nd rounder fail, it's a bad draft. We had a lot of picks and only Nailor and Chandler look like hits to me. Although you can make an argument any time you get a starter for three years running (Ingram), you'll take it. It's not our best draft, but it's far from our worst. 2010, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18 and 19 were worse in terms of the number of contributors.

Of all Viking starters on offense and defense, who's the worst of the bunch?  That's a pretty simple answer for me....Ingram.  So..with 3 picks in the first two rounds and 10 overall...that's what we end up with?  KAM clearly wasn't ready for primetime during the first draft.  I don't know if he's that good on the fly.  He (and the scouts) have done better with signing vets which frankly has been the saving grace as has his ability to seemingly cut players loose at the right time.

I think I read where 7 of our 11 starters on defense are on 1 year contracts? ITs going to be a roster more skewed to FA's than say GB for a while.

KAM looks to be improving on draft day, but next year isnt the year where the team will get a lot younger, not with 2 or 3 picks.

Selling the bottom end of a draft cuz all the top picks go down in flames is a tall order. You need to hit in rounds 1/2 to really build long-term because that's where the top talent lies for the most part. I'll give the new regime a mulligan for it, since they've improved the team regardless at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes comet52's post:

(2 hours ago)MaroonBells Wrote: Any time your 1st and 2nd rounder fail, it's a bad draft. We had a lot of picks and only Nailor and Chandler look like hits to me. Although you can make an argument any time you get a starter for three years running (Ingram), you'll take it. It's not our best draft, but it's far from our worst. 2010, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18 and 19 were worse in terms of the number of contributors.

This is what I was alluding to (contributors from the draft). Thank you for stating it so clearly

(2 hours ago)badgervike Wrote: Of all Viking starters on offense and defense, who's the worst of the bunch?  That's a pretty simple answer for me....Ingram.  So..with 3 picks in the first two rounds and 10 overall...that's what we end up with?  KAM clearly wasn't ready for primetime during the first draft.  I don't know if he's that good on the fly.  He (and the scouts) have done better with signing vets which frankly has been the saving grace as has his ability to seemingly cut players loose at the right time.

Hasn't Ed Ingram been playing and grading well so far?

(57 minutes ago)mblack Wrote: This is what I was alluding to (contributors from the draft). Thank you for stating it so clearly

Hasn't Ed Ingram been playing and grading well so far?

He graded out well this week but I've always been skeptical of PFF grades for olinemen since they don't know the assignments.  I know he had a 9.3  pass blocking grade against Lawrence and the Gmen.