Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baker Mayfield has resurrected his career
Good for him. I always liked his swag and his arm talent is underrated. Accurate guy as well. 29 years old and right in his prime. And good on Tampa for assisting in his resurgence, they should get credit as well. I'm sure Sam Darnold is looking toward that as his inspiration.
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post:

I'm happy for him too. I still remember how the Rams picked him up on like Tuesday and he led them to a win on Thursday a few years back. That was a lot of fun. Hopefully he can keep going. I don't have a problem with Tampa. Mike Evans and Lavonte David have been fun players to watch on that team for a long time too. AWJ more recently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

I think the NFL is witnessing a turning point in how teams will approach QB drafting and development in the future. Need to see much more from Darnold, but if he continues to play well, then it's just one more piece of evidence that QBs need time, good coaching and a modestly competent surround in order to be effective. Goff was considered a bust a couple years ago. Lions didn't do shit with Stafford, but he didn't have much to work with either. I would argue that both QBs would've been fine remaining where they were if they'd simply been given more time and better weapons while they were there.

Mayfield and maybe even Darnold will just add more data to the debate. You have to wonder how much damage is being done to Daniels, Nix and Caleb right now. Daniels was running at the first sign of trouble. That is a bad habit to get into.

Obviously there are exceptions. No amount of time and weapons is going to help Trey Lance, and some QBs like Stroud just don't need it. But I think these are outliers.

(09-11-2024, 09:22 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think the NFL is witnessing a turning point in how teams will approach QB drafting and development in the future. Need to see much more from Darnold, but if he continues to play well, then it's just one more piece of evidence that QBs need time, good coaching and a modestly competent surround in order to be effective. Goff was considered a bust a couple years ago. Lions didn't do shit with Stafford, but he didn't have much to work with either. I would argue that both QBs would've been fine remaining where they were if they'd simply been given more time and better weapons while they were there.

Mayfield and maybe even Darnold will just add more data to the debate. You have to wonder how much damage is being done to Daniels, Nix and Caleb right now. Daniels was running at the first sign of trouble. That is a bad habit to get into.

Obviously there are exceptions. No amount of time and weapons is going to help Trey Lance, and some QBs like Stroud just don't need it. But I think these are outliers.

I generally agree, but desperate teams (See:  Browns, Cleveland & Watson, DeSean) will continue to make bonehead mistakes.  They are becoming more outliers, true, but these bonehead exceptions are pretty nuclear in their long-term effect.

Been listening to some Dan Patrick discussions about how both Cleveland and Carolina mortgaged their future with bad personnel errors.