Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison Phillips gets 2 year extension

Phillips has been a nice performer in his time in Minnesota. Very solid DT.

Solid, but not spectacular. Not Phat Pat Williams spectacular, not Aaron Donald spectacular.
While this extension surprises me, I did notice him being disruptive against the Giants.
I trust their reasoning...and they are building (and rewarding) for a run of consistency.

I really don't have a frame of reference on the money but that seems kind of affordable, right? I do think he's a big locker room and community guy as well.

Extending him now also makes sense timing-wise. Tillery is a FA after the season and the only other two DTs on the roster are two rookies- Taimani and LDR. It's nice to know we have a vet like Phillips locked up for another couple years to show the ropes to whoever we bring into the DT room this offseason.

I'm pretty sure I read where 7 of the D starters on Sunday were set to become FA's in 25...So that is some context.

Philips is a nice, solid player and probably the kind of locker room guy they covet too. They can still throw draft capital at getting that IDL an up-grade with one of their 2 draft picks next year Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like purplefaithful's post:

This should also create a little more cap room in case of emergency, right?

I predicted we'd extend Phillips in my 2025 thread a few weeks ago. Didn't think it would be this soon though. It's just that after Clark and Lawrence re-signed with their teams, the cupboard was pretty bare at DT in free agency. Also think Phillips gives us a solid, moderately priced solution at nose while we develop a couple of good looking rookies in DTR and Taimani. Makes perfect sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

I think it's a good move to extend him. He is a solid player, leader and a good community guy
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vikergirl's post:

(09-10-2024, 11:37 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: I'm pretty sure I read where 7 of the D starters on Sunday were set to become FA's in 25...So that is some context.

Philips is a nice, solid player and probably the kind of locker room guy they covet too
. They can still throw draft capital at getting that IDL an up-grade with one of their 2 draft picks next year Wink

Exactly.  He's no Chris Jones or Kenny Clark, but he's a good run defender, can hold a double team to free up our ILBs, and he's a great locker room guy.  You need those types of dudes and he's an even better guy off the field.

Good for him, glad he's going to be a Viking for awhile longer.

Good signing both for the locker room and for continuity. Also makes the Vikings less obviously desperate to snag a DT in the draft. And he's not really old yet either.