Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who the Hell is Zavier Scott?
Vikings released McBride and signed RB Zavier Scott to the practice squad. Interesting to me that both McBride and Scott are bigger backs. I think Scott, at 6-1, 220, might be the biggest back the Vikings have had in some time. Where he differs from McBride is his experience catching the ball. 

McBride was never used on 3rd downs in college. He caught 5 passes in two years. And struggled to offer anything in pass protection. I suspect the Vikings just got tired of trying to develop that part of McBride's game and brought in a similar style runner who already had it. 

Scott lined up as both RB and WR at Maine, caught a ton of passes and had a reputation as a very good blocker. The Colts listed him as a WR. Vikings list him as RB.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Scott is a much better option, pretty simple. McBride will soon be left to the sands of NFL time....much like Zavier Scott after 2024. But if shit hits the fan and injuries mount, I'd rather have Scott than McBride.

At least with Scott, if he has to play in an emergency at some point, we can probably trust him to block someone and catch a pass, neither of which McBride has ever done. Probably not quite the pure runner that McBride was but Scott has got some Taysom Hill type swiss army gadgetry to his game.

McBride showed absolutely nothing in his short time here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knucklehead's post:

I watched a lot of McBride highlight film when we drafted him. What struck me was not his speed, nor his quickness, but rather his sheer determination to not go down. He would get hit and hit and carry his opponents literally on his back to pick up additional yardage. While UAB was an FBS school, it was 7-6 McBride's last year in school. My hope when watching those highlights was that it might possibly translate to the NFL. My reality was that his game did not translate to the NFL.

I think the way we have handled the RB position is going to backfire. I just do not get the high expectations for Jones, a guy on the downside of his career and with an injury history. With him on the roster, do not understand how you do not have 3 RBs on the 53.