Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paris Olympics
I have not watched nearly as much as I normally would,  partly due to the fact that I stumble across the results hours before they are televised so its really pointless to tune into the replayed coverage at night,  but what a train wreck this Olympics has been.  From a complete fail of a venue ( imagine training your whole life and then having to swim your event in sewage ( and worse) polluted water,  the housing and bedding is reported to be 3rd world like,  just a complete embarrassment for the host city of Paris.  I dont know that I would ever want to go there,  but this is really not painting the city in a good light at all.

Then the black eye that the IOC is getting for its rulings on transgender athletes,  as well as other issues of wokeness that will alienate a large % of their potential viewers and possibly future sponsors.  I would typically spend several hours a night watching coverage and even more per day on the weekends,  but I honestly have no plans to tune in for anything further,  not that I dont want to support the athletes,  but they dont really care about the exposure, for a competitor its about the opportunity and not the fame,  but I just dont want to support something that has become such a shame for what was once a noble accomplishment of athleticism.

Biles, Ledecky, both "full crew" basketball crews still killing it. Some other good stories, but...there's as many unfortunate stories that have me paying less attention as usual, as well.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

(08-02-2024, 03:07 PM)Zanary Wrote: Biles, Ledecky, both "full crew" basketball crews still killing it. Some other good stories, but...there's as many unfortunate stories that have me paying less attention as usual, as well.

the basketball bores the shit out of me, when they started letting pros play it ruined those sports as far as the olympics go IMO.

(08-02-2024, 03:31 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: the basketball bores the shit out of me,  when they started letting pros play it ruined those sports as far as the olympics go IMO.

It was gonna happen, as everyone BUT us was sending the best they had...plus, the "Dream Team" probably doubled TV ratings that year.

It was basically the last time I got to see Larry Bird doing his thing, with his back already screwed up. I was grateful at the time.

This year...eh...honestly, there's a little bit of the dysfunction that comes from relatively little practice time, plus bizarre decisions...like holding Tatum out of the first game.

I still don't get that, and Kerr's explanation didn't help one bit.

[Image: pole-vault-dislodged-mens-or-womens.jpg?w=538&ssl=1]

how far back do you have to go in your mind to find a time where this question would shock you?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

There's some kerfuffle over the skimpy women's volleyball and track/field uniforms...I'm surprised they're not blaming it on him watching a hot female athlete. Still, I get your meaning.

Speaking of the Paris Olympics, does anybody know the backstory on the French swimming champ leading the Skol chant at Champions park? I thought the chant started in Iceland?

Here's a tiktok video

@paris2024officiel

I'm admittedly only watching in bits, so that's the first I've heard...but, y'know, send him a JJ jersey...!