• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Interesting insight on the salary cap and QB salaries
Who will be the first $60mm ++ QB?

DAK?
LOVE?
PURDY?

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
Jordan Love is now the highest paid NFL quarterback. It’s a 4 year/ $220M contract, with also $155M in new full guarantees, per sources.

(07-26-2024, 05:57 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Who will be the first $60mm ++ QB?

DAK?
LOVE?
PURDY?

JJM?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(07-27-2024, 07:03 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
Jordan Love is now the highest paid NFL quarterback. It’s a 4 year/ $220M contract, with also $155M in new full guarantees, per sources.

A few in this thread think I am bemoaning the salaries or the escalating contracts but you are all wrong.  Teams are bidding against themselves to pay these quarterbacks.  How many think Love deserves to be the highest paid player at his position.  The guy has had one season as the full time starter and all of a sudden he should be the highest paid quarterback in the league, that is just bullshit.  Now guys like Daniel Jones another mediocre guy is going to want more money.  Oh and lets not forget about Dak Prescott.  Jerry Jones is already complaining he has three guys who want max money.

Awhile back rookie salaries were out of control, guys were holding out wanting max money before they ever played a game and all of the veterans were getting paid a whole lot less.  Soon the league slotted first round contracts for certain dollar amounts.  This is going to happen to quarterback salaries, maybe not in the next couple of years but it will happen because of guys like Jordan Love and Daniel Jones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greylock's post:

(07-27-2024, 07:09 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: JJM?

$60mm will get hit next year for Purdy or DAK is my bet...

(07-27-2024, 10:07 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: $60mm will get hit next year for Purdy or DAK is my bet...

Since we've been hovering in the lower 50s for two or three years and only now hit 55, I think it will be three or four more years before we get to 60. Maybe right around the time JJ is ready (assuming we're lucky enough to have that problem). 

But you could be right. Another big jump in revenue leading to another big jump in cap could see us get to 60 sooner than that. 

What's more interesting to me is how much higher QB salaries are as a percentage of salary cap. 10 years ago, most were in the early teens. 15% was considered very high. One outlier was Peyton Manning's 2009 salary, which hit 18.8%. But right now there are 14 QBs over 20%. 

I think this is just a reflection of how important the QB position has become in today's pass-happy NFL. But before anyone feels sorry for owners on the breadline, I think this is mostly offset by big declines in the percentage of cap going to positions like RB, ILB and S.

I would not be surprised if any of these got re-done. Not this year, but sooner than later:

Mahomes
Burrows
Allen

(07-27-2024, 11:24 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: I would not be surprised if any of these got re-done. Not this year, but sooner than later:

Mahomes
Burrows
Allen

I was just thinking about Mahomes. In terms of AAV he's well down the list. But I think he got a 10-year deal, didn't he? The length of term seems to be where NFL teams are rewarding talent and results. I think teams figure OK, if Love, Tua or Lawrence shit the bed, we can get out of their 4-year deals without too much pain. 

Looked it up: Mahomes got 10 years, Allen 6, Burrow and Herbert 5. It's the Loves and the Jones and the Tuas and the Lawrences that are getting only 4 years.