Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the top 100 professional athletes since 2000
(07-19-2024, 11:39 AM)medaille Wrote: Ladainian Tomlinson, but it's also a joke about ranking guys.

LT was probably a better all around back since Peterson was not much of a threat as a pass catcher, but Peterson was the more dominant runner IMO. 

But I agree that rankings like this are a joke. I'm a music fan and I laugh every time I see a tweet about something like the "10 greatest rock ands of all time." They'll intentionally leave off an obvious one and watch as their fans queue up to bitch about it. Negativity breeds engagement.

(07-20-2024, 09:31 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: LT was probably a better all around back since Peterson was not much of a threat as a pass catcher, but Peterson was the more dominant runner IMO. 

But I agree that rankings like this are a joke. I'm a music fan and I laugh every time I see a tweet about something like the "10 greatest rock ands of all time." They'll intentionally leave off an obvious one and watch as their fans queue up to bitch about it. Negativity breeds engagement.

I have seen Adrian Peterson win games basically by himself, I can't say that for L. Tomlinson.

(07-20-2024, 09:31 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: LT was probably a better all around back since Peterson was not much of a threat as a pass catcher, but Peterson was the more dominant runner IMO. 

(07-20-2024, 10:59 AM)FLVike Wrote: I have seen Adrian Peterson win games basically by himself, I can't say that for L. Tomlinson.

I'm not really that interested in going deep on it, but for me AD was a one-trick pony.  LT excelled at many things.  AD only ran out of the deep I.  He wasn't a good receiving threat.  He wasn't a good pass blocker.  LT excelled at those things at all.  I think you had to build your offense around AD, and while he was excellent at his one thing, it dramatically limited the offense around him.  LT was able to participate in whatever the offense needed, and made everyone around him better in a way that AD couldn't do.

From a pure stats perspective, LT had more total yards from scrimmage and more TDs in far fewer seasons.

AD's highlight reel probably is second to none though.

(07-20-2024, 12:30 PM)medaille Wrote: I'm not really that interested in going deep on it, but for me AD was a one-trick pony.  LT excelled at many things.  He only ran out of the deep I.  He wasn't a good receiving threat.  He wasn't a good pass blocker.  LT excelled at those things at all.  I think you had to build your offense around AD, and while he was excellent at his one thing, it dramatically limited the offense around him.  LT was able to participate in whatever the offense needed, and made everyone around him better in a way that AD couldn't do.

From a pure stats perspective, LT had more total yards from scrimmage and more TDs in far fewer seasons.

AD's highlight reel probably is second to none though.

I was at the game where he put 296 on the Bolts. That was a 2nd half for the ages. 

What I could never wrap my head around is how someone as big and strong as Peterson, couldn't pass block for shit. It defied logic and significantly limited what an OC could do.

I'm not bored enough to read such a thing.