Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will the Pack have to pay Love?
(07-06-2024, 08:03 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: None of that matters. He's a definitely a guy above the keep/replace line, so he'll get paid market when the time comes. How much that is specifically depends on when it's signed much more than how "good", "great" or "elite" anyone thinks he is. It will definitely be in the same ball park as the Burrow and Lawrence contracts. 

Personally, I hope he cuts their throats and the J-Love we saw weeks 1-8 is the guy that shows up in 2024.

Yes, its how much. 

Its mind boggling to me that 1/2 of a good season may net him Burrow $...

Jordan Love is just a guy that plays quarterback. He happens to play for Green Bay so all of those cheeseheads believe because of that he is the next HOF quarterback to play for the Pack. They don't believe any of their qb's are less than hall worthy. Most of them probably don't even bother to think about the dreadful years of guys like Lynn Dickey or David Whitehurst or Don Majkokski under center. Of course he will get paid because they have no other option but that doesn't mean he is anywhere worth it.

Now that the rest of the league has a full season of tape on him, is he a guy that can put the team on his back and carry them like a Burrows or Mahomes can? Is he going to be able to drive them the length of the field in a crucial game with the time running out? I sort of hope they pay him because that will not allow them to put many weapons around him then let's see how good he is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greylock's post:

Aaron Jones went off big the back 1/2 of the year for them...That'll help any QB, especially a younger one.

I dont know what Love's ceiling is, but I give GB credit for getting him a good running game and decent enough OL surround. Their WR's are getting more experienced too.

This just brings us back full circle to how the NFCN is getting better and better from top to bottom.

Caleb and Odunze in Chicago upside is crazy high too.

(07-06-2024, 10:02 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Yes, its how much. 

Its mind boggling to me that 1/2 of a good season may net him Burrow $...

I understand your point. I just don't think it works that way. 

What Love gets from the Packers is about what they think of his future, not his past. And that picture of his future is drawn by a couple years of scouting him at Utah State, followed by a 1st round draft pick investment, followed by two years of coaching and development under Aaron Rodgers, followed by a successful 1st year, where he started slow but eventually proved that he can be effective at the NFL level...even great at times. That's really all they need to know to pack his bag full of cash. And they will.

Still, there's always a chance they'll be proven wrong about him, and that last year's late season performance was more about schedule, luck, whatever, than organic development. And whatever obscene contract he gets will hobble their ability to compete with us. But I sorta think that's wishful thinking on our parts.

(07-06-2024, 02:01 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I understand your point. I just don't think it works that way. 

What Love gets from the Packers is about what they think of his future, not his past. And that picture of his future is drawn by a couple years of scouting him at Utah State, followed by a 1st round draft pick investment, followed by two years of coaching and development under Aaron Rodgers, followed by a successful 1st year, where he started slow but eventually proved that he can be effective at the NFL level...even great at times. That's really all they need to know to pack his bag full of cash. And they will.

Still, there's always a chance they'll be proven wrong about him, and that last year's late season performance was more about schedule, luck, whatever, than organic development. And whatever obscene contract he gets will hobble their ability to compete with us. But I sorta think that's wishful thinking on our parts.

It probably is wishful thinking...As a pro sports fan, I'd want to see more b4 handing over a bag. 

As a Pack fan? I would be fine doing so.

They don’t have to pay him this offseason. They can choose to pay him if it’s beneficial to them. If they wait until next year, they’ll have more data to make a better decision.

(07-05-2024, 05:39 PM)FLVike Wrote: Actually he was terrible the first half of the season. In the second half he did play great. The Packers will be making a decision for a huge contract based on about 9 or 10 games that he played good. Many QBs can have a good run and maybe for a whole season, but not too many can keep it going year after year. I am totally with sticky on this, way too early.

I recall our first game against him early last season.  We were thrilled that Love was marginal.  But yeah, the light switch turned on mid-season and he proved his mettle, and he kept the switch on right into the playoffs.  He will get what a solid starting QB in the NFL deserves....the going rate.  Whatever the heck that is these days.