Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lions O: Oh my
https://www.nfl.com/news/have-lions-cons...ed-offense

Yes, I agree that the Lions are poised to have a very good offense this year. With proven vet Jared Goff at the helm, a top 2 offensive line, a young dominating TE, and two very good RBs, there's no doubt about it: they will be very, very good. 

However, a weakness nobody is talking about is WR2. From the article: "If Jameson Williams realizes his first-round potential, Detroit could have another game-changing option at Jared Goff and offensive coordinator Ben Johnson's disposal."

That's a big "IF" isn't it? He's been healthy now for about a year and a half, and hasn't even remotely shown the kind of ability he was drafted for. In a fully healthy season, he put up 354 yards. That's 200 yards less than KJO, who by most accounts had a terrible season. 

Like many of our 2022 draft class, Jameson's 3rd season will be the crucible upon which his future is decided. I suspect that moving from WR3 to WR2 will help him put up some better numbers, but this is not Jordan Addison here. If he continues to struggle to get open and catch the ball, teams will just double ARSB on every play and Williams will lose snaps to Kalif Raymond and Donovan Peoples Jones.

My belief in the Lions is that they will find a way to f**k things up, no matter how many high draft picks and/or hot players they have. They had the pick of the 1st round litter for eons, managed to accomplish nothing but a once-per-decade playoff appearance and only one playoff win for every 3 of those.

They're in a rare time of relevance right now, but I'm certain that they'll be...themselves.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

(06-30-2024, 01:15 PM)Zanary Wrote: My belief in the Lions is that they will find a way to f**k things up, no matter how many high draft picks and/or hot players they have. They had the pick of the 1st round litter for eons, managed to accomplish nothing but a once-per-decade playoff appearance and only one playoff win for every 3 of those.

They're in a rare time of relevance right now, but I'm certain that they'll be...themselves.

I cannot say that I agree Zanary.
Most of the players on the Lions today were busy with their college, high school, jr. high, Pop Warner and baby strollers, and had no awareness of the historically feeble team from Detroit (which itself was a declining city).  
There is no institutional memory for these players.
The constant is the Ford family ownership.
But I believe that Dan Campbell is the best hire by the Ford family in decades.

Personally, I'm taking an alternate view...of rooting for the Lions every time they play the Bears and Packers. 
Well, actually that's a halfway gimme, I'll root for anyone playing against the Packers.  But I admit, the Lions are actually fun to watch now.  And I do not think that last season was an anomaly, either.

I thought Campbell was a buffoon when first hired, but he's turning out to be a good coach for them.

NFCN is just looking to be tougher and tougher. Especially if Caleb pans-out to be a messiah.

I keep waiting for Williamson to break out - but he's hanging with everyone from the Cine Club.

(06-30-2024, 07:45 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I thought Campbell was a buffoon when first hired, but he's turning out to be a good coach for them.

NFCN is just looking to be tougher and tougher. Especially if Caleb pans-out to be a messiah.

I keep waiting for Williamson to break out - but he's hanging with everyone from the Cine Club.

I remember a few posters being beyond unhappy that Detroit got Williamson....you just never know about a pick until a few years in. 

If Caleb Wiliams and McCarthy hit, the NFCN is going to be a premier, must-see TV division for the NFL to showcase.

(06-30-2024, 01:29 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: I cannot say that I agree Zanary.
Most of the players on the Lions today were busy with their college, high school, jr. high, Pop Warner and baby strollers, and had no awareness of the historically feeble team from Detroit (which itself was a declining city).  
There is no institutional memory for these players.
The constant is the Ford family ownership.
But I believe that Dan Campbell is the best hire by the Ford family in decades.

Personally, I'm taking an alternate view...of rooting for the Lions every time they play the Bears and Packers. 
Well, actually that's a halfway gimme, I'll root for anyone playing against the Packers.  But I admit, the Lions are actually fun to watch now.  And I do not think that last season was an anomaly, either.

Yep, agreed. Just because they've sucked forever, doesn't mean they will continue to do so. Historical past performance is no indicator of future results. Its like betting red on the roulette wheel because its been black for the last 3 spins: odds are still 50/50. The Lions lost by 3 points in the NFCC game, it wasn't a fluke. They've turned a corner. Its a talented roster.

(Yesterday, 04:35 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I remember a few posters being beyond unhappy that Detroit got Williamson....you just never know about a pick until a few years in. 

If Caleb Wiliams and McCarthy hit, the NFCN is going to be a premier, must-see TV division for the NFL to showcase.

Yep, agreed. Just because they've sucked forever, doesn't mean they will continue to do so. Historical past performance is no indicator of future results. Its like betting red on the roulette wheel because its been black for the last 3 spins: odds are still 50/50. The Lions lost by 3 points in the NFCC game, it wasn't a fluke. They've turned a corner. Its a talented roster.

I think most were upset that our new GM traded in the division for peanuts, passing on quality players at position of need for our team, while handing quality players to our division foe, a few were upset that it was Williams, but most were just upset with the circumstances.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post: