Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFCN Defenses
Unfortunately, Green Bay and Detroit have rockin' D-lines. Chicago will be improved on D as well. I think the Vikings' O-line is ok, but need an upgrade at center and one of the OG spots. Vikings desperately need a banger at DT. 

This is why mobility HAS TO be a part of the modern NFL QB. Doesn't need to be Michael Vick status, but no matter how good your O-line might be, there will be plays the D-line is going to win. I expect another Draft and a 2025 offseason with cap room will further bolster Minnesota in areas of weakness.

(06-29-2024, 07:55 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Unfortunately, Green Bay and Detroit have rockin' D-lines. Chicago will be improved on D as well. I think the Vikings' O-line is ok, but need an upgrade at center and one of the OG spots. Vikings desperately need a banger at DT. 

This is why mobility HAS TO be a part of the modern NFL QB. Doesn't need to be Michael Vick status, but no matter how good your O-line might be, there will be plays the D-line is going to win. I expect another Draft and a 2025 offseason with cap room will further bolster Minnesota in areas of weakness.

Like I said in another thread, I will be surprised if the Vikings don't add a star-level DT in free agency next year. Kenny Clark, DJ Reed, Dexter Lawrence are all free agents. I think one will be in purple next year. And I do think it will be a free agent who can start right away and not a draft pick who needs some development. The target is Super Bowl 60 (LX), Santa Clara, 2026. 

I think the Vikings draft CB in next year's draft. (Murphy will be a free agent). Could be an IOL too I guess, depending on what happens in 2024, though I'm not a big fan of taking IOL that early in the draft. Hopefully a couple of the '24 draft picks turn out for us and we can use that pick on BPA. I wouldn't take RB off the table either. 1st round back to pair with McCarthy, et al, is an exciting thought.

Lots of talk here on local radio of how the Vikings will trade down from their 1 next season to acquire more mid-rd picks.

If there is a stud corner or IDL there, I dont see it happening.

I dont think that most of the time they remember the cap space available to the team in 25.

(06-29-2024, 11:34 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Lots of talk here on local radio of how the Vikings will trade down from their 1 next season to acquire more mid-rd picks.

If there is a stud corner or IDL there, I dont see it happening.

I dont think that most of the time they remember the cap space available to the team in 25.

It's all talk until we actually see where we finish and where that first rounder slots in the draft.  In theory, if we're drafting in the middle of the round and we're outside the blue chip range, it might make sense to drop back and acquire some extra picks. Or if we have a stud drop to us, you stick and pick because ideally we'd have used all that cap space to shore up the roster prior to the draft.

Back to the topic at hand though, I would expect Detroit's defense to be improved. Strong DL, have solid LBs, and just added two good prospects at CB which was their biggest weakness. GB has a strong front 7 but the secondary has been overhauled and we'll see if Jaire behaves and Stokes actually stays healthy.

I actually think the Vikings defense should be very good this season and I wouldn't be surprised if they finish as the best defense in the NFC North. Where we're deficient compared to the other teams is our starting QB will probably be the worst of the bunch unless Darnold has a Keenum/Mayfield renaissance or McCarthy goes Herbert/Stroud level as a rookie.

(06-29-2024, 12:02 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: It's all talk until we actually see where we finish and where that first rounder slots in the draft.  In theory, if we're drafting in the middle of the round and we're outside the blue chip range, it might make sense to drop back and acquire some extra picks. Or if we have a stud drop to us, you stick and pick because ideally we'd have used all that cap space to shore up the roster prior to the draft.

Back to the topic at hand though, I would expect Detroit's defense to be improved.  Strong DL, have solid LBs, and just added two good prospects at CB which was their biggest weakness.  GB has a strong front 7 but the secondary has been overhauled and we'll see if Jaire behaves and Stokes actually stays healthy.

I actually think the Vikings defense should be very good this season and I wouldn't be surprised if they finish as the best defense in the NFC North. Where we're deficient compared to the other teams is our starting QB will probably be the worst of the bunch unless Darnold has a Keenum/Mayfield renaissance or McCarthy goes Herbert/Stroud level as a rookie.

I definitely can see the potential of the Viking's D. My question is how will the 2024 version do stopping the run?

(Yesterday, 06:14 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I definitely can see the potential of the Viking's D. My question is how will the 2024 version do stopping the run?

I think Flores thinks of stopping the run in a residual way. It's like everyone go get the QB, and if any of you guys happen to see a RB on the way, tackle that guy. 

But the Vikings were 8th in run defense last year. 4th in yards per attempt. They were far better stopping the run than stopping the pass. I think Hunter is a big reason why and we're going to miss that.

(Yesterday, 10:12 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think Flores thinks of stopping the run in a residual way. It's like everyone go get the QB, and if any of you guys happen to see a RB on the way, tackle that guy. 

But the Vikings were 8th in run defense last year. 4th in yards per attempt. They were far better stopping the run than stopping the pass. I think Hunter is a big reason why and we're going to miss that.

I agree, Danielle was a big reason for that...I dont recall if he was good against the run from the get-go or something he developed over the years?

Turner is not a real big guy and I can see NFL offenses running right that way to neutralize him some. First down will be a big one for Dallas and Greenard to be effective in the rush game. 

I agree Flores is maniacally get the QB, where as Zimm was gap discipline. I think there is a "perfect" middle of the two to be had.