Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This will be fun to watch from afar...
No team in the NFL creates more June headlines than the Dallas Cowboys. While most of the talk about the Cowboys has surrounded CeeDee Lamb's contract, Micah Parsons made waves on Tuesday when he defended his decision to skip organized team activities. 

Parsons clearly didn't take kindly to the criticism he faced from his absence. He likened his decision to that of the now-retired Aaron Donald, who missed Rams OTAs in 2017 before winning back-to-back Defensive Player of the Year awards in 2017 and '18. 

Though a valid argument from Parsons, he missed valuable time to catch up with new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. 

Training camp offers plenty of time for Parsons to learn Zimmer's scheme and get on the same page as Zimmer, but the All-Pro defender might have said too much when asked about how much he and Zimmer have talked in the lead up to mandatory minicamp. 

Initially believed to be a dream pairing, it might be harder than Cowboys fans thought for Zimmer and Parsons to find common ground. 

Cowboys' Micah Parsons makes concerning Mike Zimmer revelation at mandatory minicamp 

“Honestly, me and Zim have probably said a total of 20 words together,” Parsons said, via the Dallas Morning News. “He’s a very quiet person. All I keep hearing from the coaches, ‘Zim likes it [like] this.’ . So I can’t wait to sit down with him because that would be pretty cool. Obviously, old school mindset, old school mentality. You know I think he’s had a lot of great players but he ain’t ever had a Micah.”

“Obviously, some things I’ve got to get used to, too. You know it’s going to be a compromising relationship.”
Mike McCarthy told reporters amid Parsons' OTA absence that Parsons had kept in touch with Cowboys coaches. That, evidently, did not include Zimmer. Parsons revealed that most of his dialogue involved Dallas' new defensive run-game coordinator Paul Guenther, a longtime Zimmer assistant. 

Parsons stressed that he's "caught up," but Zimmer's scheme is almost polar opposite to the one Quinn installed three years ago. Zimmer is much more innovative and experimental than Quinn and he's on the record saying he wants to use Parsons in a variety of roles. 

Will Parsons be receptive to those changes? His quote indicates he's willing to give some ground to Zimmer. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how an outspoken superstar like Parsons meshes with an old-school coach in Zimmer. The 68-year-old is a no-nonsense coach and holds all of his players accountable. 

How Zimmer and Parsons interact will be one of the most fascinating storylines to watch once the Cowboys depart for Oxnard on July 22. Until then, Cowboys fans have a right to be uneasy given Parsons and Zimmer's relationship hasn't gotten off the ground yet. 

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/micah-par...hzmcxxabhp

I would love to see this shit just totally implode, honestly this would make me happier than the Vikings exceeding expectations this year. I hate the cowboys and after the Zim chose to implode the Vikings over his power struggle with the Rickster... fuck him too.
[-] The following 8 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

Lol!

Jimmy on a roll with the football vitriol these days...

Zimmer likely won't say a thing to Parsons until he shows up. He's old school like that. He doesn't care about the business part, he just expects guys to show up, get better, and help the team win. If you're holding out or in the training room, he'll just focus on the guys who ARE there grinding it out in practice.

(06-13-2024, 08:38 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Zimmer likely won't say a thing to Parsons until he shows up.  He's old school like that.  He doesn't care about the business part, he just expects guys to show up, get better, and help the team win.  If you're holding out or in the training room, he'll just focus on the guys who ARE there grinding it out in practice.

Agreed...

Zimsu is also a stickler for sticking to your assignment and no F'in ad-libs. Not sure thats Parsons zeitgeist. 

Like I said, will be fun to watch. 

Pack put a big smack on that D last season, that should still sting today.

(06-13-2024, 08:11 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: “Honestly, me and Zim have probably said a total of 20 words together,” Parsons said, via the Dallas Morning News. “He’s a very quiet person. All I keep hearing from the coaches, ‘Zim likes it [like] this.’ . So I can’t wait to sit down with him because that would be pretty cool. Obviously, old school mindset, old school mentality. You know I think he’s had a lot of great players but he ain’t ever had a Micah.”

No, but he did have a Danielle who had back to back years with 14.5 sacks which is more than a Micah has ever had Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

Zim doesn't care about the feels. Get on the field and do your job.

The Cowboys can't lose, implode or tank enough for me. Could see it every year and never tire of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

With the right pieces who buy in to what he's doing (gap discipline), Zimmer can put together an elite defense. But it was hard even for our guys who'd been with him for years to fully grasp that.

But this is a unique situation. When Zim took over the Vikings defense, it wasn't very good, ranking 31st in the NFL. He improved it to 14th his 1st season. By his 3rd, it ranked 3rd, then 1st in 2017.

Cowboys ranked 5th on defense last year.