Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarthy to stay in Eagan mostly over the next 5 weeks
(06-17-2024, 07:40 AM)JR44 Wrote: I think it depends more on the player and not the coaching philosophy.  CJ Stroud was a 21 year old rookie when the season started last year, he threw for 384 yards in his 2nd game and didn't have an interception until game 6, 1 in his first 8 and only had 5 all year.  Imagine if his coach had a no QB rookie philosophy, what a waste of a year it would have been.  The NFL is not a one size fits all.  Stroud is someone who McCarthy has drawn a lot of comparisons to.  With the offense he played in and with him mental make up, I think if he looks the part this pre season, then start him.  Darnold was signed to be a bridge and not the future and maybe it ends up being a really tiny bridge.

CJ Stroud threw for 8100+ yards his last two years in college and McCarthy threw for 5700.....so although I do agree that one size doesn't fit all, JJM is a more raw product than Stroud and needs the time to sit and learn in that comparison. Its not so much the fans saying it, KOC has said it from Day 1 of drafting him.

Quite the first pitch JJM threw out for the Twins game last night, lol. Turner airmailed his as well. Bust?

(06-17-2024, 07:40 AM)JR44 Wrote: I think it depends more on the player and not the coaching philosophy.  CJ Stroud was a 21 year old rookie when the season started last year, he threw for 384 yards in his 2nd game and didn't have an interception until game 6, 1 in his first 8 and only had 5 all year.  Imagine if his coach had a no QB rookie philosophy, what a waste of a year it would have been.  The NFL is not a one size fits all.  Stroud is someone who McCarthy has drawn a lot of comparisons to.  With the offense he played in and with him mental make up, I think if he looks the part this pre season, then start him.  Darnold was signed to be a bridge and not the future and maybe it ends up being a really tiny bridge.

It's possible. Just don't think it's very likely. Stroud's rookie season was an anomaly, historic. Nobody expected that. The Texans didn't expect that. 

Not to take anything away from CJ, because he was phenomenal, but I read where Slowik made things easy for him by reducing his pre-snap decisions to "pure progression" reads that render defensive disguises nearly irrelevant. 

Could KOC do the same thing? Sure, but I think he wants to run his full offense and Darnold is the one more ready to run it. I also think he and Kwesi see enormous value in the "primum non nocere" approach. Not just teaching a young QB the offense, but developing him and grooming him and nurturing him from the ground up. 

It's a year old (before Jordan Love and CJ Stroud did what they did), but this is a pretty good breakdown of how QBs fared based on when they got their first start. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/histo...y-succeed/