Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What concerns me about the JJ McCarthy pick
(05-31-2024, 09:14 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: I agree re: Maye

Penix was never an option as he was drafted @8. 

So does that leave JJ vs Nix? 

No, cause all of these QB's will be measured vs each other for years regardless now that I think about it more.

My point on Penix was if they loved him, they could have realistically moved up to grab him somewhere between 5-7 IF they were worried. Atlanta's surprised, no doubt, but you get my gist. Nobody was getting Williams, Daniels and Maye other than Chicago, Washington and New England.

They'll be measured as a QB class more than who took them.

(05-31-2024, 07:46 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I really just started this thread to look at the other side of what the vast majority of fans think of as a very good rookie QB selection with excellent upside. I am a Michigan fan and don't want to get too close to the trees to not realize he has weaknesses. I actually feel I do a decent job of that with a kid I've been watching for a long time.

Exactly, he has some weaknesses.  He was probably the most "projection" pick of all the first round QBs just because he didn't have as many pass attempts as the others.  But I think he has the right mentality, drive, and self awareness to handle the mental load of being an NFL QB.  He DOES need to learn to layer his throws better because the windows in the NFL will be much smaller than they were in college. But most of the "weaknesses" with JJ are things that come with coaching and experience.

What can't be taught, he has in spades...  he has the arm, he's mobile, he's inherently accurate, and has the intangibles you want.  I honestly think most of the guys coming out could use a year of development on the bench and not just JJ McCarthy. I think that is invaluable for a rookie QB because they can make all their mistakes in practice without the scrutiny of the public and media dissecting every snap, loss, turnover, etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(05-31-2024, 11:10 AM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Exactly, he has some weaknesses.  He was probably the most "projection" pick of all the first round QBs just because he didn't have as many pass attempts as the others.  But I think he has the right mentality, drive, and self awareness to handle the mental load of being an NFL QB.  He DOES need to learn to layer his throws better because the windows in the NFL will be much smaller than they were in college. But most of the "weaknesses" with JJ are things that come with coaching and experience.

What can't be taught, he has in spades...  he has the arm, he's mobile, he's inherently accurate, and has the intangibles you want.  I honestly think most of the guys coming out could use a year of development on the bench and not just JJ McCarthy. I think that is invaluable for a rookie QB because they can make all their mistakes in practice without the scrutiny of the public and media dissecting every snap, loss, turnover, etc.

To the lack of pass attempts, I think it was you that posted the chart of pass attempts per game and pass attempts per half. that was one of the best posts I have seen on this board. It showed that early in the game, JJM passed a lot more. Once they had the lead, they did what successful teams do, Grind it out on the ground.
All those articles claiming he is a project do not take that into account.
Just another reason I am very optimistic about JJM being the right QB at the right time for the Vikings.