Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirty Harry; 24 not a swan song
Safety Harrison Smith has returned for Year 13 with the Vikings, tying Bobby Bryant for the most years played by a defensive back in franchise history.

But he's not ready to call this season his retirement tour.

"That's not really my style," Smith said after Tuesday's spring practice at TCO Performance Center.

In March, Smith agreed to a one-year, restructured contract to return to the Vikings and defensive coordinator Brian Flores, whom Smith credited with bringing a spark to the end of his career. Exactly when Smith's illustrious career ends will be determined after another run through the league.

"That's kind of what I've been doing the last few," Smith said. "I just take it day by day and think about what I'm doing on the field and how I can get better at that. That kind of simplifies it and really lets you enjoy the moment other than, 'Oh, this is my last one.' … I like the action, I like the meetings, being around the guys, and when I approach it that way, I tend to get more out of it. And I think I help add more."

Smith said he's feeling healthy after completing his 176th regular-season game in last year's finale at Detroit. After that game, Smith said he was dealing with a painful shoulder injury and wasn't sure he'd play again. The 35-year-old father of two said time with his wife, Madison, and their children helped heal those wounds. He also dabbled in carpentry and welding amid home renovations.

"Completely living life like I wasn't a football player," Smith said. "It's a good weight off your mind to kind of like reset and come back around to it, make a decision. I feel good, I enjoy it, I think I can add a lot."

NFL rosters churn every offseason, but Smith is returning to an almost entirely new front seven on defense. The Vikings signed veteran edge rushers Jonathan Greenard and Andrew Van Ginkel, and drafted edge rusher Dallas Turner in the first round..

"I like the moves," Smith said. "But just getting in the building, seeing the bodies we got, some guys up front. I'm never going to say, 'Oh, yeah [I guarantee success].' We'll see what happens. I like it. I like what we got going on, yeah."
"I know people outside of here aren't expecting as much out of us as we do ourselves," he added. "But I think we have the makings of some good things here."

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi...600367718/
[-] The following 3 users Like purplefaithful's post:

I've always liked Smith's quiet humility. He doesn't call attention to himself at all and you get the feeling if he didn't have to do interviews he would never speak in public. 

I think this is his last year though, whether he wants to say it or not.

(05-25-2024, 10:45 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I've always liked Smith's quiet humility. He doesn't call attention to himself at all and you get the feeling if he didn't have to do interviews he would never speak in public. 

I think this is his last year though, whether he wants to say it or not.

I would have bet the farm last year was going to be his last...

He's carried the torch of great Viking defender's magnificently and for a long time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

Well then, make my day…!  Cool Angel

This is definitely his last year, what a great Viking career he's had. He'll be 36 years old early next year.