Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bout Damn Time!!!
https://www.outkick.com/sports/nfl-test-...era-ending

NFL to test alternate system to measure first downs.

Ive been wondering how long a billion dollar industry would keep this stone age and largely inaccurate system in place.
[-] The following 4 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

About damn time. Now if they can just figure out a way to determine if a catch is actually a catch or not a catch then maybe we can see progress in the way that games are officiated.

(05-22-2024, 02:41 PM)Greylock Wrote: About damn time. Now if they can just figure out a way to determine if a catch is actually a catch or not a catch then maybe we can see progress in the way that games are officiated.

first they would have to actually nail down a firm definition of what actually is a catch, but before that we need to lock in the term "football move" or any of the other ambiguous terms they create that allows them to arbitrarily determine the outcome of the games based on something other than the results of the plays on the field.
[-] The following 2 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

The old left foot/right foot...

I dont know how close they are to a replacement, sure hope its sooner than later.

[Image: 63934d91-2001-4f9c-9436-4238ee610cb7_text.gif]

I think using "new technology" to measure first downs will take away one of the quaint origins of this sport.
Is it foolproof? Heck no. But it's part of the game, to me.

(05-24-2024, 10:43 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: I think using "new technology" to measure first downs will take away one of the quaint origins of this sport.
Is it foolproof? Heck no. But it's part of the game, to me.

a lot of thing are part of the game, bad ref calls, PATs from the same line as the 2pt, surprise on-sides kicks, hitting the QB, defense... lots of things have changed as the game evolved. I think the speed of the process will be better, and it will be a fairer way as long as it is utilized well, not sure if this will include spotting the ball after a play or just measuring the line to gain, personally I think there should be a way to spot lock the balls forward momentum with the whistle blow, forget the slow motion replays, just have sensors in the whistles that lock the forward progress as soon as any ref blows his whistle...play over.

I saw a lot of balls placed short by the refs last season. Will they correct that?
As far as the definition of a catch goes, they could go old tech and do it the way we did in the olden days. If the ball doesn't touch the ground it's a catch. They would still have to determine possession on bobbles at the sideline or endzone, but it would be much simpler.