Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Turbulence
(05-21-2024, 05:12 PM)VikingOracle Wrote: Actually Badger, I give you props on actually posting facts to support your argument unlike your cohorts who go right to the personal insults.  I looked at the NTSB report as I found what you posted to be interesting.  The problem I had in that report was that it was not about whether there is or is not more turbulence (or the cause, if so) but how best to mitigate injuries caused by turbulence.  From the report, it is clear the NTSB has been proposing things for decades to prevent inflight injuries, some have been implemented, some have not.  I assume the fact that the incidence of injuries has somewhat been impacted by the safety recommendations implemented in the past decade.  However, as that report did not address whether past safety changes has in fact reduced injuries, it is hard to really rely on the # of injuries as reflecting the incidence of turbulence.  Additionally, bigger, newer planes are better designed to handle turbulence and minimize passenger injury (https://monroeaerospace.com/blog/why-big...urbulence/) and your facts do not take into account the improvement in and the growth in size of commercial airplanes.  But again, I highly respect that you posted actual facts.  BTW, I think I posted 4 separate studies and a bunch of articles that cite those articles (though principally the Reading study) -- they are not all posting to a single scientific article).  I do welcome you finding and posting a scientific article that refutes these 4 scientific articles).

I think you and I can also agree that JimmyinSD's statement, "if it was indeed being experienced more, I would guess it is a due to more confidence in the aircraft's abilities to handle flying through weather instead of around it" is simply wrong.  As I am sure you noted, many of NTSB's recommendations related to sharing of information by airlines, etc. in order for plane en route to avoid turbulence.  For instance, in 1998, NTSB recommended that the airlines re-emphasize the importance of reporting turbulence so other flights could avoid it (NTSB 98A-98-105) and this was actually implemented by the FAA in 2002.  In fact, I am guessing (but have no study to support this) that airlines are much better able to avoid turbulence than they were even a decade ago.

I also want to note as to tornadoes, I think we can agree that the science does not support that climate change increases their frequency.  In fact, climate change may suppress tornadoes.  https://education.nationalgeographic.org...onnection/

Also, please note, I only said climate change was a "possible" cause of increased turbulence -- I would hope that you would agree that is a reasonable thing to say -- unless you think it is impossible that there is an actual increase in turbulence.  If so, you may want to review this: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/...23gl103814.

Again, I respect the way to countered my statement (which I did not find to be controversial when posted though naive of me not to think the term "climate change" would not be triggering).  I did not wish to engage in an argument and I apologize if I offended other posters here by saying that something was a possible cause.
The problem with your argument is that you just make an assertion out of the blue that's old and stale and supported and lied about by those who want it to be the narrative.  Every time happens, it's racism, climate change, or the Orange Man.  It gets to the point that the assertions are so stupid that people get tired of proving they're stupid.

well since this is going from bumping our heads to political fodder, I am going to just assume this one is headed for the shitter and move it over to the ST board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(05-22-2024, 12:03 PM)Waterboy Wrote: The problem with your argument is that you just make an assertion out of the blue that's old and stale and supported and lied about by those who want it to be the narrative.  Every time happens, it's racism, climate change, or the Orange Man.  It gets to the point that the assertions are so stupid that people get tired of proving they're stupid.

How could it not.  As soon as it had anything to do with earth, it had to be climate change, and thus a Sensitive Topic.  lol. Zanary, you are simply a sheeple.