Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maye or McCarthy?
By no means would I hate McCarthy being the pick, but a part of me would be a tad bit disappointed if we don't end Thursday night with Maye being the guy in purple.
The artist formerly known as PurpleCrush.

(04-22-2024, 01:05 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Them is some pretty concrete words!

You got this on good source or just a hunch?  Cool

Well now that you asked. It's more of hypothesis. NE needs picks, Daniels had a private work out with the Vikings. Daniels was asked with 4 other QB's to visit Washington and Daniels camp made some negative comments afterward. NFL gives draft picks for hiring minorities. They have players wear slogans on there helmets to stop hate and end racism. I think the NFL wants Kwesi to succeed so they can engineer a narrative. I told a friend of mine that I thought this would happen last year.. I think this year it happens.Adofo-Mensah

(04-22-2024, 01:30 PM)Still Hurtn Wrote: Well now that you asked. It's more of hypothesis. NE needs picks, Daniels had a private work out with the Vikings. Daniels was asked with 4 other QB's to visit Washington and Daniels camp made some negative comments afterward. NFL gives draft picks for hiring minorities. They have players wear slogans on there helmets to stop hate and end racism. I think the NFL wants Kwesi to succeed so they can engineer a narrative. I told a friend of mine that I thought this would happen last year.. I think this year it happens.Adofo-Mensah

IF the NFL wanted KAM to succeed, I believe Anthony Richardson would be a Viking today...
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(04-22-2024, 01:14 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Chris Simms might be letting his own personal biases filter into this mock, but wouldn't it be interesting if the Vikings trade up for McCarthy and Maye is the one that falls to 11? I don't think it's as crazy as it sounds...I do agree that Latham will go higher than most expect. That man is a monster.

https://x.com/CSimmsQB/status/1782457503705448601

[Image: GLyPpxhXwAA-mfO?format=jpg&name=medium]

Just straight up forgot Rome Odunze?
[-] The following 1 user Likes NFL Draft Guru's post:

(04-22-2024, 02:32 PM)NFL Draft Guru Wrote: Just straight up forgot Rome Odunze?

I'm not so married to Maye that I'd be upset about this. I trust our staff to make the right pick way more than I do myself. The more QBs on the board when we select, the better since it shows me they have conviction.

On the other hand, in recent years the Jefferson, Addison, and Darrisaw picks have worked out spectacularly when each guy was "the last guy" picked after a run or in their tier. So whatever happens I'll be okay with it. Just draft a QB who can play football, Vikings. Is that so much to ask? Tongue

I have to put my faith in KOC that if he thinks he can fix Maye, I’m good with it. JJM doesn’t have the glaring issues that Maye does so I’d be less worried if he’s the pick.

Of the two, Maye is the most exciting. If he could throw accurately to his right, I’d probably love him for the 1st pick in the draft. His potential is huge, it’s just he’s really really risky in my opinion. What is given up would definitely matter to me. If it’s much, I’d wait due to risk. I see a lot of Blake Bortles in his game unfortunately. He has a ton of ability and will throw a lot of TD’s, but I’m afraid a lot of picks will come with it. They are so damaging to wins at the NFL level.

I like JJM. He’s got great arm talent - better than Maye in my opinion, but he’s been a really tough evaluation because he’s been so limited. He too is pretty risky and 100% a projection. Do you have Zach Wilson or is there an Aaron Rodgers hiding in there?

Of the two guys at pick 3, I choose JJM. I’d be just fine with either though. In fact, in the top 6, I don’t have a deal breaker (see Ponder) type of issue with any of them. They all have the arm talent necessary.

Of course, I’d take Nix over either guy. I see Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers in that guy. In fact, Aaron Rodgers himself is the last guy I thought so highly of coming out in the draft.

Oddly, I read today that every single NFL team interviewed Nix. I don’t remember that ever happening in any draft regardless of position. Just strange.
[-] The following 2 users Like Havoc's post:

Here's my read...but again, I'm just a fan and don't know "ish" from Shinola.

First, despite the hype - NO ONE is "pro-ready" (Hate that term) The game is faster, ball needs to get out quicker, the brains for 300 plus plays, situational awareness, have the "language" in the huddle, need to assess defenses and take what they give you. Need to have confidence to audible out, and be successful in doing so. Need to have enough sac to talk to communicate with coaches, and lend suggestion. Be a field general, stand in, deliver the ball and take a hit when necessary, throw it away, or even eat it when necessary.

Williams I feel will be a "Cam Newton" type, talented, can lead a team, but his head will hinder his talent. If he struggles early, it will be fun watching the Bears come apart at the seams.

Daniels is dynamic, has more moxie than the others IMO. If he can be smart about not taking unnecessary risks / hits, I think I'd prefer him over Williams frankly. Only problem, would Jefferson be able to run routes with a stiffie?

I think we are being "fluffed" about McCarthy. Every year QBs fly up the board. WATCH FILM. Ever notice how he flew up draft boards as soon as Harbaugh gave his "Greatest Michigan QB" statement? McCarthy better give him a cut of his rookie deal.

Maye - Great potential, has a head for the game, but does he have the "moxie" you need from QB. I think he has the highest LONGITUDINAL ceiling. Not an immediate impact, and if he's thrown to the wolves too soon, it'll be ugly.

Penix I like a lot. Checks off most of the skillset you want in a QB, the ONLY thing is health. It's a gamble, but if you DON'T package our two picks and he's sitting there pissed off, take him AND your second first round pick.

Nix I like also if you're not using two first rounders, needs some time and reps, but I think he's solid if he can sit and learn.

Again, I've mostly worked with OL, but that's my take. Let KOC get his guy, and defer to his judgement
[-] The following 2 users Like Vanguard83's post:

Stranger things have happened but it may be possible to get our QB with the 8th pick without trading.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

(04-22-2024, 07:02 PM)Vanguard83 Wrote: I think we are being "fluffed" about McCarthy. Every year QBs fly up the board.  WATCH FILM.  Ever notice how he flew up draft boards as soon as Harbaugh gave his "Greatest Michigan QB" statement?  McCarthy better give him a cut of his rookie deal.

I was skeptical about McCarthy early on and I thought the Harbaugh comments were stupid. But McCarthy's got some 'wow' traits to back it up. Best velocity in the class after Milton--and he's very close to Milton. Ran a 4.48 last year and that speed shows up on film. 

More on his arm talent and how it fits the Vikings...
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/...4279433680
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(04-23-2024, 06:41 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I was skeptical about McCarthy early on and I thought the Harbaugh comments were stupid. But McCarthy's got some 'wow' traits to back it up. Best velocity in the class after Milton--and he's very close to Milton. Ran a 4.48 last year and that speed shows up on film. 

More on his arm talent and how it fits the Vikings...
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/...4279433680

I think I'm going to change my mind: I think its JJM that O'Connell is targeting.