Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Broncos ready to shake up Round 1?

Chicago is the most obvious partner imo, has been all along, they can likely still get a top WR at 12, and by letting the Broncos jump the Vikes, KAM is then forced to burn more draft capital to move up to stay ahead of the donkeys. All it takes is the uncertainty to force a move if KAM is concerned with losing "his" guy of the 2nd tier 3 QBs.

Broncos don't have any draft capital, so it makes sense they would offer players. I doubt Sutton moves the needle much, but Surtain certainly could. 24 years old, 1st team All Pro, rookie contract. I think it's pretty clear that if the Vikings want one of the top 4 QBs, they'll have to trade up to the 4-8 range to get the last one.

(04-18-2024, 07:15 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Broncos don't have any draft capital, so it makes sense they would offer players. I doubt Sutton moves the needle much, but Surtain certainly could. 24 years old, 1st team All Pro, rookie contract. I think it's pretty clear that if the Vikings want one of the top 4 QBs, they'll have to trade up to the 4-8 range to get the last one.

Agree with all of this and regarding Sutton-- he especially makes no sense for CHI. They have DJ Moore and just traded (peanuts) for Keenan Allen. I could see Sutton having some value to NYG (6) or TEN (7), though. Not a ton but some.

I can't see DEN trading Surtain. It'd be biting their nose to spite their face. They need more CB help not less.

Also, the notion that Denver has no picks isn't really true. They don't have a second rounder this year but otherwise they have a full suite this year and everything in 2025. They can maneuver just fine if so inclined. We can probably beat their offer, sure, but it's not like their cupboard is completely bare. We think Darnold is "bad"? Their current starter is Jarrett Stidham. Desperation makes teams do crazy things and a guy like Sean Payton might be thinking one last run and bag it, whereas a younger coach like KO might have different motivations.

If we want a top 4 QB a trade up is the best bet. Even if it's an overpay.

I said a month ago that when KAM famously got "fleeced" by DET I felt that going into the draft his mind was set on moving back, value be damned. My best educated guess today is that his made is set on moving up, value be damned. This time I agree with him. The cost will sting-- a lot-- but the time is now. Waiting until next year to draft our QBOTF introduces so many unknowns that I don't believe it to be a feasible option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

(04-18-2024, 09:18 AM)pattersaur Wrote: Agree with all of this and regarding Sutton-- he especially makes no sense for CHI. They have DJ Moore and just traded (peanuts) for Keenan Allen. I could see Sutton having some value to NYG (6) or TEN (7), though. Not a ton but some.

I can't see DEN trading Surtain. It'd be biting their nose to spite their face. They need more CB help not less.

Also, the notion that Denver has no picks isn't really true. They don't have a second rounder this year but otherwise they have a full suite this year and everything in 2025. They can maneuver just fine if so inclined. We can probably beat their offer, sure, but it's not like their cupboard is completely bare. We think Darnold is "bad"? Their current starter is Jarrett Stidham. Desperation makes teams do crazy things and a guy like Sean Payton might be thinking one last run and bag it, whereas a younger coach like KO might have different motivations.

If we want a top 4 QB a trade up is the best bet. Even if it's an overpay.

I said a month ago that when KAM famously got "fleeced" by DET I felt that going into the draft his mind was set on moving back, value be damned. My best educated guess today is that his made is set on moving up, value be damned. This time I agree with him. The cost will sting-- a lot-- but the time is now. Waiting until next year to draft our QBOTF introduces so many unknowns that I don't believe it to be a feasible option.

KAM wont be here long if they dont get the QB right. 

Darnold may bounce-back some this season, but he is what he is - a 3rd overall pick, turnover machine flop and a very wealthy journeyman.

And yes, if its not obvious to all by now then it never will be; they got to get into that 4 or 5 slot if they want a top 4 qb. 

Good luck to em.

(04-18-2024, 09:18 AM)pattersaur Wrote: Also, the notion that Denver has no picks isn't really true. They don't have a second rounder this year but otherwise they have a full suite this year and everything in 2025. They can maneuver just fine if so inclined. We can probably beat their offer, sure, but it's not like their cupboard is completely bare. We think Darnold is "bad"? Their current starter is Jarrett Stidham. Desperation makes teams do crazy things and a guy like Sean Payton might be thinking one last run and bag it, whereas a younger coach like KO might have different motivations.

By that I just mean they don't have the ammo to compete with us. They don't have the ammo to get into the top 5. Even if they offered their '25 1st, '26 1st and '27 1st it still wouldn't beat our two current 1st rounders. Not having that 2nd rounder this year really hurts them. But with Surtain they could. I think they're limited to trades in the 8-10 range.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

I don’t know much about their situation, but I actually like the idea (for them) of trading up using picks. I think when you look at the Broncos, I think it’s a sort of rebuild for them. They’ve got a billion dollars in dead cap they have to chew through. They probably have to cut some good players to stay under the cap. Their unlikely to really be competitive with that much dead money. Start preparing for the next window and don’t screw up future years, by trying to be competitive this year.

One thing I’d love to see but don’t is other people describing how the Broncos should navigate their cap situation and get back to being competitive as soon as possible.

(04-18-2024, 03:56 PM)medaille Wrote: I don’t know much about their situation, but I actually like the idea (for them) of trading up using picks.  I think when you look at the Broncos, I think it’s a sort of rebuild for them.  They’ve got a billion dollars in dead cap they have to chew through.  They probably have to cut some good players to stay under the cap.  Their unlikely to really be competitive with that much dead money.  Start preparing for the next window and don’t screw up future years, by trying to be competitive this year.
One thing I’d love to see but don’t  is other people describing how the Broncos should navigate their cap situation and get back to being competitive as soon as possible.

And I am making the same argument for the Vikings...

in 2025 they have over $100mm in cap.

Thats plenty enough to extend JJ, extend Darrisaw AND get some serious talent on the D side of the ball.

Who the hell needs draft picks lol!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post: