Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any other fans worry about QB Jayden Daniels arm strength?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Took some notes when I watched these guys about a month ago. Here's what I noted on Daniels...

Jayden Daniels - 6-4, 210, skinny, smoothPhenomenal Runner. Fast, great run vision. Not Vick fast though. I’ll say 4.5. Might run too much. Takes a lot of HUGE hits. Runs recklessly. Just idiotic decisions when running. More worried about HIS health than Penix. Solid arm, flips it for 50. Good touch. But not real high velocity throwerScans field, seems to move off 1st read better than some. Better than Nix.Relaxed in interviews, expresses himself well, humble, sense of humorNo sure thing. Floor Marcus Mariota. Ceiling Lamar Jackson
Nice. What notes do you have for JJM?

JJ McCarthy - 6-3, 203, skinnyReally accurate short, really strong arm, accurate on the run, but maybe a little reckless on throwsGreat pocket movement, keeps eyes downfieldThrows across body, poor decisions are not unusualAccuracy declines on throws over 30Handles pressure well. 63% under pressure. 112 passer rating under pressureClearly a projection pick. Why do NFL scouts love him? Maybe his mental makeup?Natural, but real young sounding in interviewsFloor is less douchey Zach Wilson. Ceiling is much faster, less deep-accurate Kirk Cousins 
Can't argue with that. I will say this about his leadership: he's very popular with other football players. Big time H.S. prospect from Illinois and went to Nazareth Academy and then IMG Academy in Florida. He's a very confident kid, but also just turned 21 years old a few months ago. Lots of smiling, likes to have fun. His play-action is killer.

Drake Maye - 6-4, 230, Justin Herbert 2.0Plays a pro game. Can run, but not super fastUnderwhelming at first glance, inconsistent, but probably highest floor in the class. This is how you design a modern NFL QBAccurate, high energy, good arm, not elite though. He doesn’t have Will Levis’s arm or Justin Herberts, IMO, but he’s definitely a top level talent. Looks, sounds and plays like Justin Herbert. Smart, soft spoken, humble, can laugh at himself.WRs dropped over 8% of his passes. Bad surround at UNC. Ran a pro style offenseWill miss some layups. Floor Daniel Jones. Ceiling Justin Herbert. 
I think Mayes arm is near the top after watching him play the last two years. Certainly bigger than McCarthys. The intriguing part of him is the way he can make every throw.

Drake Maye - 6-4, 230, Justin Herbert 2.0Plays a pro game. Can run, but not super fastUnderwhelming at first glance, inconsistent, but probably highest floor in the class. This is how you design a modern NFL QBAccurate, high energy, good arm, not elite though. He doesn’t have Will Levis’s arm or Justin Herberts, IMO, but he’s definitely a top level talent. Looks, sounds and plays like Justin Herbert. Smart, soft spoken, humble, can laugh at himself.WRs dropped over 8% of his passes. Bad surround at UNC. Ran a pro style offenseWill miss some layups. Floor Daniel Jones. Ceiling Justin Herbert. 
I like Maye's arm strength more than you on your assessment. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I understand there's a lot more to QBing that arm strength, but for a top 2 Draft prospect potentially....I don't know. I watched a highlight video yesterday and its what came to mind. I'm no scout of course, just a layperson observation. When 90% of these guys have time and stand solidly in the pocket, set and fire, it all looks good. But on the run or passing back across the field, then you see it. I'm guessing some of us haven't given this kid much attention as the assumption is we won't be getting near him. But I know others may have taken a look at highlights or are CFB fans like myself. 
My Daniels notes:

Jayden Daniels LSU Sr QB  6-4 210 Runs frequently, has speed with elite burst and some decent running moves. Could be a rb.  Runs if first read isn't open, more runs on his tape than other prospects.  Pocket passing game needs work to reduce the # of runs. Needs to learn to slide at end of runs instead of taking big hits.  Accuracy is an issue, tends to throw off target, especially under pressure.  Decent arm strength but not elite.  Good pocket awareness but can't always escape as he is more fast than shifty.  Throwing mechanics and footwork are good.  Has the physical tools but his pass game isn't elite at this point, not sure it can become that.  Ceiling: lower to mid-tier NFL starter with the right coaching. Floor: backup.  I would not spend a first on him but as of now he's projected to go top 5 by most.

Interesting that JJM might have the best arm in this class? If he doesn't, it's close. 

David Saba@QB_Eagles1990Max throwing velocity for QB Group 1Joe Milton: 62 mph JJ McCarthy: 61 mph Devin Leary: 60 mph Bo Nix: 58 mph
I'm going to try and find it, but if you want to see a throw where JJM cuts loose, its like a rocket....and he's rolling to his left and just bullets a TD, hard to do for a right handed QB. I have to find it.....I'll edit once I locate it. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
I like Maye's arm strength more than you on your assessment. 
I don't think his arm strength is a weakness by any means. I just don't think he's got quite the guns that Herbert and Levis do. In other words, since he can clearly make all the throws, it's more an item of trivia than some kind of consequential criticism.