Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another reason not to move up in the draft
The rookie salary scale increases dramatically.

The top 4 draft picks last year all had cap hits exceeding $6mm/year (from Bryce Young at $6.9mm to Anthony Richardson at $6.18mm).
Picks 9, 10 and 12 were all under $4mm (Pick 12 - Jahmyr Gibbs was $3.2mm).

If we're trying to squeeze as much blood out of the rock this year, given the dead money we're carrying, a $3mm lower cap hit is a consideration for our first round pick.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
The rookie salary scale increases dramatically.

The top 4 draft picks last year all had cap hits exceeding $6mm/year (from Bryce Young at $6.9mm to Anthony Richardson at $6.18mm).
Picks 9, 10 and 12 were all under $4mm (Pick 12 - Jahmyr Gibbs was $3.2mm).

If we're trying to squeeze as much blood out of the rock this year, given the dead money we're carrying, a $3mm lower cap hit is a consideration for our first round pick.
if I thought 3 million was the difference between our QBOTF, or just a decent prospect that may amount to something,  damn the torpedos, and the cap,  we are spending that 3 million and getting the guy I want.  I would be more concerned with the future draft capital it would take.  To me,  tying in 2 or more future 1st round picks is a make or break for KAM,  if he made a move like that and picked the wrong guy,  that might be more than he would get a chance to recover from for me.

OP a fellow KC Royals fan I assume? Lol. They've been pulling the draft day penny pinching for years. Don't think it's nearly as much of an issue in the NFL.

No worries, if we trade up, we’ll have fewer draft picks to pay…

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
OP a fellow KC Royals fan I assume? Lol. They've been pulling the draft day penny pinching for years. Don't think it's nearly as much of an issue in the NFL.
HaHa.  Nope, Minnesota Twins fan since before the '65 World Series.

The two best teams in the AFC, KC and Buffalo are where they are at today, because they aggressively moved up to get the guy they wanted, I think you do what you have to do to get your QB, it is by far the most vital position to your success and this year I think we have to do whatever it takes and I do think we move up.  

The only one of the top three (according to most boards) is the kid from LSU.  Outside of him, I honestly like Penix and Bo Nix.  Bo Nix impressed me the most, but unfortunately, my professional NFL scout card has expired, so I am no longer credentialed.  I guess I agree with moving up (like we tried and failed last year to get Richardson who went at #4), but just in case KAM and KOC agree with my assessment of Penix and/or Nix, they'll both be there at 11.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
The only one of the top three (according to most boards) is the kid from LSU.  Outside of him, I honestly like Penix and Bo Nix.  Bo Nix impressed me the most, but unfortunately, my professional NFL scout card has expired, so I am no longer credentialed.  I guess I agree with moving up (like we tried and failed last year to get Richardson who went at #4), but just in case KAM and KOC agree with my assessment of Penix and/or Nix, they'll both be there at 11.

I agree completely. I'm a Tar Heel fan and I've watched every snap that Drake Maye has taken and I definitely would not trade up for him. In fact, if both were available, I'd take Bo Nix over Drake. Drake's ceiling may be higher but his floor is definitely lower. I think Nix is the least risky QB in this draft.

The only thing I may disagree with is I would not sit at 11 for Nix. Everyone in the world now knows we're going to draft a QB meaning all other teams needing a QB will try to move ahead of us. Depending how the draft plays out, I'd be calling Atlanta to move up to pick #8, maybe even Arizona at pick #4. So we give a 1st and 2nd, the Vikings have to get a potential QBOTF from this draft.