Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your ideal scenario over the next 3 months?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39485211

Interesting video posted on ESPN today from the McAfee show in which Dan Orlovsky doesn't think there is any way the Vikings can pay both Jefferson and Cousins and the Vikings are probably going to have to move off Cousins, who he thinks will get 40+ million a year on a 3 year deal. Also floated the idea again about the Vikings trading Jefferson to New England to try to move up for a quarterback. 
No, they can't coexist once their cap hits accelerate. I've been saying that for two years. But they can for a couple years. And you're not going to sign Cousins for much more than that anyway. I think what Orlovsky is saying is that you can't sign both to long-term deals. But I think everyone already knows that. 

I guess considering Kirk is 36, what's a long term deal? 2 years, 3 years...4? It almost sounds like Kirk won't sign for less than 3 years and under that scenario how much money gets kicked into dead years with our other free agent considerations? To me the Kirk Cousins contract and what the Vikings do is the most interesting story of the NFL offseason. A little over a month away from getting our answer 
A long-term deal in this case is anything that goes beyond 2 years. JJ's contract, if it's like most contracts, will accelerate in its 3rd year (2026). Kirk would have to be off the books by then. 

I haven't heard anything about Kirk not signing for less than 3 years. I think he likely WANTS 3, while the Vikings likely want 1. So the obvious compromise is 2. We'll see if the can come to an agreement. But it would not surprise me at all to see another team swoop in, not even blinking at 3 years...or even more. 
Me either...

Atlanta seems a front runner, Steelers/Raiders maybe, Broncos??? Sean might like Cousins for a few years. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
I think the ideal off season involves having a good QB and getting
like 4 starters out of the draft, meaning guys are dropping and us getting
lucky because teams missed them.

That’s not hardly a plan though, but something more
tangible:

1. Resign
    Cousins to a 2 year deal that’s probably something like $60M guaranteed
    with $20M more in incentives and an out after 1 year if he’s unable to
    really perform due to the injury, but gives him security if he’s healthy.
  2. Resign
    Hunter to a good contract that you can get out of in like 3 years max.
  3. Resign
    JJ to a contract that doesn’t make me cringe a lot.
  4. Resign
    Davenport to be our 3rd OLB for like $6M prove it deal.
  5. Draft
    a QB with our first or second pick without giving up the farm to get them.
     I’m skeptical that we’re going to
    get one of the top 3 guys, so I just don’t see how it makes sense to
    invest multiple high picks in getting the 5th best prospect.  I’d rather draft the 5th best
    prospect 2 years in a row, than invest 3+ picks into the 4th
    best guy.  If there’s a guy you feel
    really confident in that fits your system and you’re sure that everyone
    else is misreading, sure go after that guy, but I think the list of guys
    that fail after teams traded up for them is probably just as long as guys
    that succeeded.  This guys probably
    going to have some flaws and need to sit for a year.  End of the first makes sense to me.
  6. Have to get a second impact edge or DL.
  7. Have to get a quality RB that can both run and block at a low cost.
  8. Have to bring in another competent starting caliber CB.

6-8, Here you are really dependent on
how you get that QB, ie. Did you blow all your draft picks?  You’re probably going to have to pick up a CB
or an Edge in free agency if you draft a QB, unless you get really lucky.  I think if you blow a ton of picks on a QB you're probably building for 2025 rather than 2024, so you're more going for overall roster quality than win now as you'll have to be more frugal in FA to make up for the missing draft picks.
It would cost us half as much to move from 42 to 16 as it would to move from 11 to 3. Draft your edge at 11 (there are three with strong value in the 8-15 range--Verse, Turner and Latu). Draft QB4 at 16. Sign Cousins, Hunter and a pass rushing DT in free agency. Use a 4th or FA for a RB.

That gives you Cousins, JJ, Addison, Hock, Darrisaw and O'Neill on offense. Your front seven now has Hunter, Wilkins (FA1), Phillips and Turner (D1). This is a team that would be serious contenders in '24 with a succession plan at QB in place—not to mention $130M in cap space in '25—to keep them there. 
Maybe tweak this a bit to be sure you get a QBOTF you want, and end up with the same result.  You could draft the QB at 11 then trade back up to the 16 range for the blue chipper DL player.
Agreed, if they want their QB4, that will have to be with their pick at 11.

Some team may still jump them before that for the QB4 guy.

I have a feeling JJM is going to be moving up the draft rankings over the next few weeks. 

Help fortify the D in FA, Rd2 or later...

What would be interesting is if Maye dropped out of the top 5. Then the team would have to make a decision:
Trade up for Maye?Trade up not as much for JJM?Try to stay at #11 for JJM?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Fire 'em. Fire 'em all. 

https://twitter.com/sosarick/status/1755...77262?s=20
Rick Sosa.....lmao.

[Image: 5e8e128d-7e93-4856-847c-bda914639b95_text.gif]

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@purplefaithful said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

tangible:

1. Resign
  2. Resign
  3. Resign
  4. Resign
  5. Draft
    invest multiple high picks in getting the 5th best prospect.  I’d rather draft the 5th best
    going to have some flaws and need to sit for a year.  End of the first makes sense to me.

how you get that QB, ie. Did you blow all your draft picks?  You’re probably going to have to pick up a CB
or an Edge in free agency if you draft a QB, unless you get really lucky.  I think if you blow a ton of picks on a QB you're probably building for 2025 rather than 2024, so you're more going for overall roster quality than win now as you'll have to be more frugal in FA to make up for the missing draft picks.
It would cost us half as much to move from 42 to 16 as it would to move from 11 to 3. Draft your edge at 11 (there are three with strong value in the 8-15 range--Verse, Turner and Latu). Draft QB4 at 16. Sign Cousins, Hunter and a pass rushing DT in free agency. Use a 4th or FA for a RB.

That gives you Cousins, JJ, Addison, Hock, Darrisaw and O'Neill on offense. Your front seven now has Hunter, Wilkins (FA1), Phillips and Turner (D1). This is a team that would be serious contenders in '24 with a succession plan at QB in place—not to mention $130M in cap space in '25—to keep them there. 
Maybe tweak this a bit to be sure you get a QBOTF you want, and end up with the same result.  You could draft the QB at 11 then trade back up to the 16 range for the blue chipper DL player.

I have a feeling JJM is going to be moving up the draft rankings over the next few weeks. 

What would be interesting is if Maye dropped out of the top 5. Then the team would have to make a decision:
Interesting yes.  If Kirk doesnt sign with Atlanta, they will almost certainly pick a QB at 8, Nix or JJM and i give JJM the edge right now. 

How does he make the leap that our leadership sucks because no votes for DHunt. i smell freshly ground AX. 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@purplefaithful said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

tangible:

1. Resign
  2. Resign
  3. Resign
  4. Resign
  5. Draft

I think McCarthy will end up being their guy and they will go where they need to, too get him.