Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Have Answers for Lions QB Jared Goff
Vikings Have Answers for Lions QB Jared Goff
[Image: ArticleImageFullscreen.svg]
[Image: AA1lVtsn.img?w=768&h=431&m=6]Jared Goff© Getty
GettyDetroit Lions quarterback Jared Goff
Starting the year 8-2, Detroit has enjoyed its best start since 1962 on the arm of quarterback Jared Goff.
However, the Vikings have an opportunity to solve Goff with O’Connell’s understanding as Goff’s offensive coordinator in Los Angeles and Brian Flores’ past foils of Goff.
In 2018, Flores was the New England Patriots defensive playcaller in Super Bowl where he held Goff and the Los Angeles Rams to just three points before landing a head coaching job with the Miami Dolphins.
Two years later, Goff was surging under his new coordinator in O’Connell before meeting Flores in Miami.
“The Rams left with a defeat so humbling, it sent them home stewing over deep questions about the future of their offense on the six-hour flight back to Los Angeles,” Star Tribune reporter Andrew Krammer wrote, signaling the end of the Goff era that followed months later.
Flores has beaten Goff before, and O’Connell’s experience working with the Lions quarterback will only offer more insight for Flores.

KOC faced the Lions twice last year but the DC was Donatell. No need to beat that dead horse. This will be a new defense. But Goff, Ben Johnson, and everyone else are aware of what Flores has done with the Vikings defense. The Lions will have answers for the Vikings' blitzes. It starts with Goff and Ragnow, but includes all those Lions' weapons: Gibbs, Montgomery, LaPorta, St. Brown, and even Jameson Williams. If Goff has a poor game because of blitzes notwithstanding the Lions' excellent O-line, that's all he will see the rest of his career.

I'll be interested to see how often the Vikings show blitz and rush only 3. If Goff is determined to get rid of the ball quickly, this could be an effective strategy.

Watch Goff and the Lions put up over 500 yards on the Vikings on Sunday 

Quote: @mblack said:
Watch Goff and the Lions put up over 500 yards on the Vikings on Sunday 
I think injuries for Minnesota are going to play a factor. I don't get an upset vibe today from the team, could be a long one. Hope not.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote: @dadevike said:
KOC faced the Lions twice last year but the DC was Donatell. No need to beat that dead horse. This will be a new defense. But Goff, Ben Johnson, and everyone else are aware of what Flores has done with the Vikings defense. The Lions will have answers for the Vikings' blitzes. It starts with Goff and Ragnow, but includes all those Lions' weapons: Gibbs, Montgomery, LaPorta, St. Brown, and even Jameson Williams. If Goff has a poor game because of blitzes notwithstanding the Lions' excellent O-line, that's all he will see the rest of his career.

I'll be interested to see how often the Vikings show blitz and rush only 3. If Goff is determined to get rid of the ball quickly, this could be an effective strategy.

The secret sauce is in the mix. Staying unpredictable. If most sacks in the NFL come via extreme pressure (rush 7, drop 4) or extreme coverage (rush 3, drop 8), why even bother with the middle?

No answers on that first drive...

Zero sacks and one forced turnover I believe, while allowing 30. The injuries in our secondary played a big part in that though. Pretty sure the broadcast said a late penalty was on a CB we just called up from the practice squad. At that point Flo kinda gets a pass.